Fuel Gauge....again....

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Manuel C., Aug 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Manuel C.

Manuel C. Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    Hi,
    had one more time a fuel gauge problem : did not show the correct fuel level : 7 bars for a fuel tank. So, I disconnected the battery & connected it again, gauge showed nothing. Had to ride more than 30 min to have 2 bars for a bit more than 10 liters . Ridiculous :confused:
    I found a lot of answers on the net for this problem : replace gauge, reset ECU, go to dealer's workshop, do a druidic ceremony under full moon etc. :neutral:
    However, there is at least one interesting repair tuto : https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/gt-fuel-gauge-going-mad-what-are-the-resistance-values.867122/

But, before removing the fuel tank, with a long rigid cable inserted in the filler hole I pushed gently up & down the float arm. It moved fine. Put the bike on the central stand, started & engaged 1st gear. The gauge showed 5 bars within 2 or 3 minutes.:yum
    So it seems that the gauge was just a bit stuck.
    Will see if the gauge works fine with a fuel tank. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    Sorry : 1st & last sentences => read "full tank" instead of "fuel tank"

3. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I was going to say that fuel gauges tend to work best when in a fuel tank and separation of the two may have been the problem.

Glad you got it sorted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    LOL...will write in french next time...
    I hope it will work fine...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Fingers crossed and potentially saved yourself a fortune!
    Thanks for the post!

6. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
  7. Manuel C.

Sep 3, 2019
    France
    had a ride today : lost one bar after a while, so level was 4 bars, went to gas station & refilled => 10 bars in 1 or 2 min.
    So, the gauge mechanism was a bit stuck & now it works fine. Cost me 0....
    Really like this nasty :mad: growling 3 cylinders engine, it is never breathless & pushes endlessly :imp:....one of the best available for fun, power & speed ! :yum

• Like Like x 4