Fuel Gauge 1050 R

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andrew Cross, Mar 28, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andrew Cross

Andrew Cross New Member

Mar 23, 2022
    united kingdom
    Hi Being new to Triumphs just need a little help regards the fuel gauge. This may have been discussed before so apologies.
    My 17 plate 1050R once the ignition is on goes through the diagnostic process , the fuel goes up to full for a second or two then down the nothing. This according to the manual this is normal until you start riding then the gauge starts reading.
    The prob is that I had a full tank and went on a 30mile round trip and it failed to show anything.
    The only thing i've found out is the bike has none standard levers on it which the switch on the clutch is not engaged . Would the fuel gauge require the clutch switch to be activated prior to firing up as part of the diagnosing process and therefore allow the fuel gauge to work ?
    thanks

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    My Speed is older so can't say from experience but seem to remember reading on here other members having similar problems with levers that aren't properly compatible, so almost certainly yes. If you got the original levers with the bike try refitting the clutch lever to confirm this, otherwise (anyway) I think you'll just have to get a set of the correct levers for that year.

And welcome BTW, enjoy the bike and our forum.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jage

Jage Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2021
    Cork, Ireland
    Have a 16 R, does what you say but the full gauge will start to fill pretty quickly unless it’s really low. From memory, it’ll be 30-60 seconds after I fill the table before it properly registers. Not sure if it could be levers but there is a sensor in the tank I believe that might not be working properly.

4. Andrew Cross

Andrew Cross New Member

Mar 23, 2022
    united kingdom
    Hi Guys ,
    Quick up date on my fuel issue. Put the original levers back on , switch on clutch works fine . Still no fuel gauge . Run a tank through on Sun day with nothing showing. I think the sender has gone. Anyway i can find out or is it a tank off job. From my research its not an arm with a float but more like a tube with the float inside.
    Any thoughts /ideas ?

5. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Had a similar problem when I had a Multistrada, went through a couple of replacements before I got rid at the end of the 2yr warranty. Technician suggested it was worse affected when left over winter, ethanol in fuel distorting the plastic tube/float. Although I had repeat problems during the riding season.
    Not had any problems with my 2015 Speed and don't think it's a common problem with Triumph, so may be just a bad part for you.
    If same as mine have you checked connector under tank? Hinge tank up to get access.

6. Andrew Cross

Andrew Cross New Member

Mar 23, 2022
    united kingdom
    Hi will check this out this weekend.
    Would I be right in assuming its the movement of the clutch switch thats key to this not the movement of the clutch itself. I only ask as due to an injury my clutch cable now operates from the right hand side , the clutch lever on the left remains in tact just with out a cable. The switch is still connected and works

7. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #7 Col_C, Apr 5, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
    It should just be the switch on the lever, just check the other end of the cable just in case, but nothing on mine.
    I was just wondering whether the gauge sweep at start up is just an ecu/instrument check rather than any indication of whether the tank sender unit is present and correct?
    If you're still stumped after the weekend, I could disconnect mine to see whether the gauge still sweeps.
    I do remember the gauge needs a short distance travelled before it registers after a battery disconnect or ecu read.

8. Andrew Cross

Andrew Cross New Member

Mar 23, 2022
    united kingdom
    Hi , yes agreed my thoughts exactly. Cannot see anything on the engine end of the cable. I'll prop the tank up and unplug the connector and give it a good spray and try that. I clocked the owners manual , states that the bike needs to be moving to get a reading which on mine makes no diff at all.

9. Andrew Cross

Andrew Cross New Member

Mar 23, 2022
    united kingdom
    Hi Guys ,

Quick up date . Fuel gauge is working fine . Have to make sure the switch on the non functional clutch lever returns back to fully closed. If you remove the cable the lever will naturally remain half way in due to the switch.
    This was my problem , the switch was not closing once started so the circuit was not complete hence no fuel gauge

• Like Like x 3