Front Tire Compatibility With A Michelin Race H2

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by RokitJon, Nov 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    New member here!
    After 20+ years without a bike I picked up a 1997 Speed Triple that hit a curb and flew into a chain link fence.
    The bikes got 8600 miles on the clock and is in amazingly good condition with minimal damage.

Picked up a front rim and need a tire.
    The rear tire is a Michelin Pilot Race H2. It's date coded to 2003 and has little wear. Is this old a tire still safe to ride?

Michelin is no longer making the Race H2 so what is a compatible front tire?

Thanks

2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi mate
    Given the age of the tyre & the fact that it’s a race spec, I would start again with a new pair of more road biased tyres.
    There are plenty to choose from and opinions galore on which are the best, my personal preferred road tyre would be Pirelli Rosso 3.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    Hi Bad Billy
    Those look like good tires!
    Being my money is being eaten left and right at the moment I'll be buying one tire at a time. Just want to get the bike on the road and fix any issues I may find. Won't be Racing around!

The H2 is a radial but I cannot find that the Diablo is too. This brings up the question of how a bike behaves with mixed design tires? Like I said I won't be racing around (until all the bugs are worked out) I just want to be aware of any possible strange handling behaviors.

4. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    Well you're right, but it's such a pretty 15 year old tire!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Like you got an old bike, Speedmaster but on checking rear tyre had date code of Aug 2005!!
    Decided in the interests of my safety to junk both tyres and put on a set of Avons.

Tyres age and usually harden then crack: hardening you cant see!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida

Yes, All I need is a few low speed runs to insure the mechanicals are good and then she'll get new tires front and rear.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    [disclaimer - old tyres on a car experience]

Replaced my front original OEM ContiSports at about fours years old with Michelins and stupidly left the OEM rears on the rear. At six years old I swapped front to back to use the last of the wear on the Conti's but, oh my, was the handling crap or what?!!! No grip on acceleration, ABS chiming in on braking in the dry, chronic understeer in corners... This was six year old tyres. Replaced them later that day.

Your life is almost certainly worth more than the 15 year old potential deathtrap you have there Rokit. Personally I'd change it before a quick check of the mechanical operations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    I'm an old hand at driving on old tyres! The rear tire has a thick carcass and is still pliable. I'm pretty confident I can make a few short low speed runs on it.

This bike is an unknown quantity. The previous owner had removed the body panels, airbox, spark plug coils and valve cover cap bolts, telling me he had the intention of putting a bigger cam in it, then had to abandon the project for more pressing financial needs.

He says it ran fine and for $500 I was willing to take a chance on it. With that in mind I'm not going to spend unnecessary money until I confirm it runs and drives properly!

9. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I guess that makes sense, its like the ride home an a used bike, you hope to get home without anything untoward happening?

Good luck with the project and hope it runs sweet when you test it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    Thanks Wishbone, it's looking promising. The bike is clean, it turns over, the trans clicks into gear nicely, etc. It's low miles and the guy "seemed" to be honest.

What motivated my question about a compatible tire to the rear is I thought perhaps the new rubber formulations would last much longer than previous technology. The rear certainly looks good, and the rubber feels pliable, but I know better now!

Here's a pic of what I'm working on. For $500 there's not much a of a down-side!

100_8232.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    $500!! The exhaust is worth that;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. RokitJon

RokitJon Active Member

Nov 11, 2018
    North Florida
    That's what I'm talkin bout!
    This was a can't lose buy. On the other hand I've been buying the parts and things necessary to get her going, then there's the title transfer - and if she runs I'll need a motorcycle license endorsement, the mandatory "school" to get it, and I've found the front brakes will need (undetermined as yet) work.

I might be in this thing another $500 before my first beer run!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
  14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    You’re welcome

15. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that reads like you swapped your front Conti onto the rear of your bike? If that's reyt, there's no wonder it wouldn't handle!!

16. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Foxy I think ithe disclaimer at the top explains it

• Agree Agree x 1