Front Sprocket Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bob1, May 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    trying to remove the front sprocket on my speed twin not getting very far anyone got any tips I have tried standing on the brake still moves I put a bar through the wheel up against the swing arm using a 24inch breaker bar but I still can't budge it

2. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    done it managed to put a tube on the end of the breaker bar god there tight. then guess what they have sent me the wrong sprocket wont fit don't things like that just piss you right of.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Air gun mate two second job then

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    177 or 22

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DAVE SHOEMAKER

DAVE SHOEMAKER New Member

Sep 23, 2020
    York, PA USA
    I hung a 20 pound weight from the brake pedal, and taped a breaker bar with a hammer. Took some time, but came loose.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    bloody front sprocket nut... first time I tried to loosen the bastard was with a 35mm socket on a 2 ft breaker bar...... laugh.. the bike certainly was laughing at my puny effort..

eventually got the job done with my wife on the bike (9 st dripping wet) pressing on the rear brake pedal for all she was worth with the bike in first gear... and a 35 mm socket on a 3/4 inch metre long breaker bar........... the crack sound it made when the bastard moved made me think i'd broken the transmission........

been fine when changing sprockets ever since that first battle of wills

• Like Like x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Captain Klang

Captain Klang Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    Beats my last front sprocket change. It was so loose I could undo it with my fingers! Thank god the tab washer was holding it and not letting it turn. Properly torqued up now though.

• Like Like x 2