Front End Clunk Under Braking? Not What I Thought It Was.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by NakedBiker, Dec 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NakedBiker

NakedBiker Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    Thought I'd share my experience to hopefully save some others some time.
    My 2012 Speedy recently started a worrying clunk clunk clunk from the front end under braking. My immediate thought was that the headstock needed tightening up and reading some forums suggested this may be the most common problem. To be safe I checked all nuts and bolts around braking areas just to be safe and there is not excessive play in the floating rotors.
    The weird thing is that I could not detect any movement from the headstock. None. Before I started a lengthy tear down I popped over to my mechanic mate. He confirmed, no movement from headstock. Showed him the clunk clunk clunk and he instantly said "That's the engine mounting bolts". Whipped out his torque wrench and checked the R&G sliders that are on the bike. They had all worked lose over time and needed tightening. No more clunk when braking.
    The engine mounting bolts would have been the last thing I had checked so I'm super glad my mate picked it up so quickly and saved me hours of frustration.

• Useful Useful x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I have R and G bungs, I will check there tightness, thanks.

• Like Like x 2