Tiger 1050 Front Discs Warping

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by france_54, Jul 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. france_54

france_54 Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Shropshire
    Hi all,

My front discs on my Tiger 1050 keep warping 2 new sets. Can't be unlucky that they are both faulty parts so what else can it be?

I don't think there is anything to do with riding style as they are being used for purpose - commuting, don't brake heavy on the front, don't sit on the breaks.

What are peoples thoughts of other components? Had a few suggestions but don't know if there is any validity ti them like imbalance in the suspension, pistons not moving smoothly?

Cheers

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    At the risk of teaching Granny .....

Are the discs floating on the bobbins and are the pad pins seized? If not, they will pulse rather than self centre.

3. france_54

france_54 Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Shropshire
  4. france_54

france_54 Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Shropshire
    When you say are the pad pins seized - to be clear - are they catching on the pin rather than moving freely over them?

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    They should be free to move up and down the pin but lateral to the disc.

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Ditto that opposing pistons are not seized on one side.

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Who told you they were warpped. I was told that last week and it was only the bobbins needed cleaning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    3EBABEE7-DC19-4703-B813-6B5E8167AB63.png

9. france_54

france_54 Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Shropshire
    So I'm back. I have thoroughly cleaned the bobbins, they were not too bad any way.

I have got a couple of new pad pins and am fitting them today. But so far no improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #11 Sprinter, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019

Can you lift the front wheel?

Edit. this is a diy test, and an indicator that more action needs taken.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    You need a DTI really to check the runout for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. france_54

france_54 Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Shropshire
    Ill run a test. If it is warped (lets speculate) what would be causing my rotor to keep on warping after just a few hundred miles?

13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Are all your pistons in your caliper moving? Is it always the same side?
    You should rebuild your caliper seals and pistons, not replace necessarily, just clean and inspect.
    What make are you using?

14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Is there enough free play in the hydraulic system?
    Without the brake could be slightly on and as expansion takes place this will increase.
    2 - 3mm of free play at the lever (before piston actually travels anywhere) always needs to exist and one of the biggest culprits is incorrect fitting of after market levers.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. france_54

france_54 Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Shropshire
    So I rebuilt the calipers back in march coming out of the winter period, fitted new seals on both calipers and the pistons were very smooth but I will remove and clean again - I have two spare full calipers to swap out if needed

16. france_54

france_54 Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Shropshire
    What I could do with is can anyone link a walk through of how to correctly bleed the brakes using the ECU tune app? As I wonder if I've been doing it correct.

The discs are OEM and pads are GoldFREN AD range

17. Colin Balfour

Colin Balfour New Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Northants
    You don't need to worry about the ABS electronics when bleeding the brakes, so long as you don't turn on the ignition while the ABS unit has no fluid in it. So long as the ignition stays off just bleed it like normal, the bike ECU won't even know you've done it. If you turn the ignition on the ABS unit actuates while it's got air in it, then you've got an issue having to actuate it again in TuneECU to bleed it out.

18. Colin Balfour

Colin Balfour New Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Northants
    My Tiger Sport also goes through spells where the discs feel warped.

At one point it was really bad and I solved it by changing the front tyre! I had Michelin PR4 on with the rain sypes and they wear stepped, this causes a vibration under braking. It's a suspension issue that causes the uneven wear, but other tyres like the Metzeler Roadtec 01 I have now don't suffer from it, so I'd rather just use a different tyre than mess around with suspension which is on Triumph recommended settings which I'm quite happy with.

Other more minor front brake vibrations I have sorted out by cleaning regularly witih brake cleaner including the bobbins, and making sure calipers are in good working order with all pistons actuating evenly.

Also make sure your calipers are aligned to the disc correctly. To do this loosen your caliper bolts, and hold the brakes on while you nip the bolts back tight again, then torque to the correct torque.

• Like Like x 1