Front Brake Rotor-carrier; Excessive Wear

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tom Spendo, Sep 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom Spendo

Tom Spendo New Member

Sep 30, 2020
    Tucson AZ, USA
    Anyone out there have any issues with excessive wear occurring on the front brake rotor carrier?

My 2006 Triumph Sprint ST ABS, w/ 40k on the clock, had developed loose front rotors, which would move forward / backward on their carriers. This caused a 'click' and a slight hesitation upon applying the front brakes. The Brake Discs are SUNSTAR, SS rotors mated to aluminum carriers w/ 10 riveted bobbins. After grinding them off and checking the dimensions if found the following:

The bobbins measure 13.70 mm in diam. the rotor carrier mating surface measures 13.84 mm in the vertical dimension and 14.17 in the horizontal. Obviously the majority of the wear has occurred in the horizontal direction.

I've found replacement bobbins from several sources, including ebay (which had the best $), but since the carriers are obviously worn, I wonder if replacing the bobbins will make any difference, will the rotor to carrier connection still be loose. Short of shelling out $80 to find out, I wonder if anyone else out there has had a similar problem and if so, might I benefit from their experience.
    By asking what is their recommended solution?

Thanks in advance for your attention
    Tom Spendo, Tucson AZ

2. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Welcome Tom. In short, I don't know nut somebody will be along soon to help.

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Over here wear like that would cause the bike to fail it’s MOT annual safety check. If it was me I’d change the whole assembly rather than try to save a few dollars cobbling different components together. Brakes are a critical safety item and should always be in top condition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    #4 ChrisJHuff, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    DSC_7628.JPG had the same on my sprint RS.. brake on and the discs would click as they moved (not much it must be said) on the bobbins.. would fail an MOT over here and the sound un-nerved me with that click on braking that I replaced with EBC discs on the front and had no problems since

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    With aluminium carriers the chances are that you have wear on both bobbin and carrier so renewing the bobbins only will likely achieve a limited stay of execution. I imagine AZ provides plenty of very fine, abrasive dust. Unless critically short of the readies I would suggest complete rotor replacement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tom Spendo

Tom Spendo New Member

Sep 30, 2020
    Tucson AZ, USA
    Thanks
    i've already ordered a pair of complete replacement rotors.
    i was just trying to figure out what the other options were and if this issue is a common one with sunstar discs.
    [maybe a batch had poorly treated alum carriers, as in 'not hardened']

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1