Featured Friday Qualifying Tt 2023

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Iceman, Jun 2, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Well talk about throwing down a gauntlet, Micky D set a 135 mph lap in todays qualifying on his superbike, he has topped the timesheets in all classes this week, right from the off in first practice he looked focussed and very very determined, he did say some weeks back his aim was to equal JMs 23 wins, the way he is riding he could well pass that number, and who knows what he can achieve, he is riding the very best I have ever seen him on the course, yesterday on the mountain section he was using all the road and brushing the barrier, and never backed it off, and the pace he set on his Supertwin was not that far away from that of the Supersport, the raging bull is back with a vengeance. I don't know what Peter Hickman thought when he crossed the line looking at his dash time, he must have thought he topped the session, only for Michael to beat the record Hicky set in the race last year. Michaels Fireblade was only 3 mph down on Hickys BMW through the Sulby speed trap, I expect come Sunday's race we will probably see 206 mph, 6 mph doesn't sound a lot but it definitely is time wise. So it may well be the 3 top men, Dean Harrison who is also riding at his best, and with a very quick machine with some factory supported parts, he says it is a missile, Peter Hickman his machine is very quick and he rides as quick as always, but Michael has certainly place da marker down, and then there is Davey Todd and Connor Cummins, also John McGuiness another great rider setting a 131 mph lap, could John be on the podium, 6 laps of the superbike race places huge stresses on a machine and it unfortunately does with breakdowns usually a relatively minor part the culprit, whatever happens I hope everyone stays safe out there. Big mention for the Birchall brothers and I foresee a new sidecar lap and race record coming, and this being the 100th year of sidecar racing at the TT it is looking great.

• Like Like x 7
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    We're in for a hell of a weeks racing alright, like you say, hope everyone stays safe.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Read something last night that Cummins will not be racing until Tuesday after being hospitalised with some infection.
    I think MD could equal Joey's tally this week the way he is riding. Never be as cool as Joey though :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  4. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Being from NI, I want to see Dunlop win but I think Hickman will be the one to beat in the superbikes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Well MD blitzed then in Saturday's Supersport race and what a performance in todays Superbike race, from a standing start he broke the lap record and was then 21 seconds ahead of Dean Harrison in second, he had great pit boards and backed off to take the win from second placed Peter Hickman with Dean Harrison in third. John McGuiness was right there to congratulate Michael on equalling his 23 wins. Michael was on a different level today, he was super smooth and never looked out of shape at any point, it does bode well for him in the remaining races, a lot of people forget that his first TT win came when he was not even 20. I recall his first appearance at the Isle Of Man for the MGP, but that can wait for another day. A big shout out for John McGuiness who was racing great, at 50 John is still showing the way to the young guns. And what can you say for Tom and Ben Birchall, they set a blistering pace and set a new outright lap record of 120 mph, given the outfits have a 600 engine, the weight and a full tank of fuel for 3 laps, also the rider and passenger combined weight, it makes it pretty special, and it is the 100 years of sidecar racing at the TT. Can't wait for the next races.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Fantastic rides in all classes. Pleased for John Holden in the sidecars, is he 67? What a star!
    Dunlop looks on another level this week. Respect to Jack Russell too, competing in all 10 races! :worried::grinning:Here's to a safe TT for all.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Micky D was on fire again in both the Supertwin and Supersport races, he won the Supertwin race and again showing his class finishing 26 seconds ahead, this took his wins to 24, the Supersport race was just phenomenal, at one point he was 12 seconds in the lead on corrected time, Hickman overtook Dean Harrison to place him second on the leaderboard, he then cut the gap to Michael and he got the message and upped his pace, winning by 9.617 seconds after a stunning final lap of 130.403mph beating Hickman's 130 lap, and Michael setting an official outright lap record for the Supersport race, taking his wins to 25. Come tomorrow we have the Royal London 360 Superstock Race 2 – 3 Laps and then the Carole Nash Super Twins Race 2 – 3 Laps, can Michael equal his uncle Joeys record of 26 wins, personally I really hope so, and equalling Hutchy's 5 in a week record as well, and can he get another win taking his record to number 27, that would make Michael the most successful pure road racer in history, he has also won more Irish road races than anyone else taking 113 wins, then his Southern 100 wins as well as wins at the MGP. Can't wait for tomorrows races.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    It was an epic race! The radio cover was fantastic but the tv show was a bit shit. Hicky will be hard to beat on the big bikes, especially if he has got the head shake sorted. I reckon Dunlop will equal his uncle by the end of the week though. What a week its been! Pure class! Road racing is the ultimate :grinning: