Frank Thomas Saddle Bag Or Kriega?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by quarky, Jul 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. quarky

quarky Well-Known Member

May 14, 2018
    Northants, UK
    Hello,

I don't tour much (at all to be honest). In the past, I may have done 500 miles in a day occasionally, but normally from home. I have taken the bike when away for work, but that tends to be overnight so I just used a backpack (or rarely a tank bag).

I am thinking of going away for a few days (maybe two nights) in a few weeks, and so considering something that I can throw on the bike without it costing an arm and a leg.

So are these kinds of things any good?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php/collection/cargo-luggage/frank-thomas-ft13-saddle-bag.html

I assume they won't be waterproof (not really an issue), and I don't need to be too big, but I am thinking I can chuck some essentials in, and maybe get away with my Kriega R-35 being practically empty.

The other option is to use my US-10 on the tail with the R-35, but the US-10 seems a tad small.

Or just order a US-20 and chain it?

2. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    What bike will it go on? Those panniers look horrible in my opinion. I have the 20ltr Kreiga tailpack and I think that’s big enough for a weekend away. I like to travel light though. If I was going for longer I’d add 2x 10 ltr Kreiga add ons plus maybe a small bum bag for personal stuff.

3. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I too don’t tour much but will hopefully start doing a couple of trips a year.

4. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Pic of the 20ltr on my bike.

2C5D3FB6-A705-4E07-95F2-7D861047A786.jpeg

5. quarky

quarky Well-Known Member

May 14, 2018
    Northants, UK
    #5 quarky, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    It is on a Street Twin, so those might kind of fit in with the retro-style.

Good to know the US-20 works for you. I found a place with what looks like a great price, so will see if my order is accepted this morning. If so, will go with that, and use the US-10 on top if required. If I have the backpack and the US-10 already, it probably makes the most sense.

Now I can't find my gortex trousers damn it, so might need to buy a pair of those. I think my wife has tidied them away somewhere.. :tired_face::)

6. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Ah ok well yes they would probably look ok on a street twin but if you change bikes in the future they may not. The kreiga will look good on anything. I rode with a backpack and tailpack and want to get away from that because when sat upright the bottom of the backpack would catch on the tailpack. I only did it as I had some papers in a folder but if push came to shove I’d fold em up now. When I next tour it will be purely kreiga tailpack with a personal bum bag to keep valuables on me. I suppose those panniers are a bit more secure than the tailpack cos someone could just cut the kreiga off if they wanted to.

7. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Ha that’s wives for you!! Again when I last toured I had cheap waterproofs which took up space. I’m gonna bit the bullet at some stage and get a textile waterproof touring kit as I hate putting on and taking off waterproofs or even liners, does my head in!

8. quarky

quarky Well-Known Member

May 14, 2018
    Northants, UK
    Got a great deal on the US-20, so that will do fine I hope! Problem now is finding the time to go, it might just have to be for one night, but then the US-20 (or even the US-10) should definitely be fine with that.

9. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    Kriega is fantastic gear, well made waterproof, comfy to wear. I have three different types of Kriega bags, no problems with any of them. Excellent kit!!

10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Kriega every time

IMG_20180706_072648.jpg

• WTF WTF x 1
  11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Kriega if you want quality kit but pay through the nose for it, throw overs if you want to carry luggage at a reasonable price.....

12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    8FB7F68D-8829-4106-B3BC-2918317A02FB.jpeg Krieger gets my vote.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    It's a Krieger underneath with the Oxford waterproof inner for the tank bag strapped to it, I can confirm that without the waterproof inner that Oxford Tankbag is NOT waterproof!

• Like Like x 2
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

DSC_1468.jpg

Kriega, US20 & 2* US10's. Always waterproof and tested up to ###mph ;)

Lived out of these for a week. Expensive but they do work very well.

Only downside is the clipping on and off for an overnight stop, OK if staying several nights, but does get tiresome after 5th night in a row:confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    You can't see my old expandable magnetic tank bag from that angle!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    #18 tcbandituk, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Original price of the panniers was nearly half the new price of the Kriega 10L I bought....:p:D

(Ignore the top box, that's there purely for enhancing the looks.....)

20180712_085703.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    When away in Spain recently, my mate on his B*W S1000R set fire to his brand new Givi soft throw over panniers, he didn't realise that when using the quick shifter the Akra pipe was spitting a flame out each time which over time caused his right pannier to catch fire! It wasn't funny at the time, but after the event he did take a major amount of stick from the rest of the lads. He ended up binning the throw overs (and half his kit) and buying a new tail pack in Andorra.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Depends a lot on which bike your putting it on. Any sports / naked with rear fairings and/or high pipes is a no-no for throw over luggage, too much damage caused and chance of melting on hot pipes. Classic/retro bikes look ace with saddle bags, loved them on the America, but that had frames to keep away from any parts of the bike

• Like Like x 1