Featured Touring France

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by roadrider, Jul 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Just got back for another France trip.
    The weather was mostly OK but we did have some Biblical thunderstorms.
    Off the boat in St Malo then down towards Cognac and the Dordogne.The Dordogne was pretty but a bit touristy for us(though we only followed the river) I'm sure it's got some quieter spots.
    Then down to the Gorges du Tarn,I've wanted to get down here for a few years and wasn't disappointed.
    It;s a stunning area with 32 degree temperatures.The Cevennes is an area worth visiting. Millau to Florac (D907BIS) is stunning and the Corniche des Cevvenes (D260/D9) from St Jean du Gard to Florac.
    Then we started heading back up towards the Limousin,and what do you know! we bumped into Thebiglad!!
    OK, it was pre arranged,he even got his bike out in the rain so we could find him,thanks for the bacon sarnie Dave.I'm sure we'll be back to the Limousin as what we saw looked beautiful,further exploration needed.
    Next was up the the Loire for a 2 night break and a day off the bikes.Stayed in Amboise, Lovely smallish town with a nice Chateau, bloody expensive though!
    We'd decided to catch the late(11pm) boat from Ouistreham,so that gave us all day to get there,it would have been nice but the 180 miles to Caen were heavy rain and strong side winds,though when we got to Caen the sun came out and it was lovely. As we were in the area we went to Omaha beach and the American Cemetry at Collevile sur Mer,dinner at Arromanches.
    Smmoth crossing,off the boat on time,home for 9AM.

Sorry if it's a bit wordy,but we had a great time. Off to clean the bike now.
    I'll post some photo's later.

• Like Like x 10
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tim it was nice to meet up with you and Mrs Tim, shame the weather wasn't the best but hey-ho we can't change that.

Sounds like you had a good time anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Didn't happen till we see pictures ;):D
    Nice write up, thanks.

4. Triumph biker

Triumph biker New Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Bournemouth
    Hi Roadrider.
    Just got back myself from a great road trip. I love Europe for touring. Have you ever tried Valon's du Pont? The gorges there are fantastic and are said to be much alike the rockies. 22kms of road which follows the gorge or you can get off the bike and into a kayake and navigate it in the water then get back on the bike and follow it again. Great!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1