Featured Touring France 2020

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by tcbandituk, Jan 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Finally decided and booked this years bike trip in June.
    Going to be a bit of a 'nostalgia' trip using the back roads on some routes that I last rode in 1990 and 1994!

Booked a 3 bed a/c mobile home on the Med coast for a week in June for less than £300 :D

Route.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  2. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Your downward journey is the same as one I do most years, at least from Moulins to Avignon, from there we usually go off to Castellane and the Verdon Gorges before going into Italy. Looks like you've planned a nice route!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Thanks.
    I'm not really much of a tourer really, I tend to prefer to get down the south asap and then base myself somewhere for a week or two with hot weather and good roads.:cool:

But with the extra time I have now, I thought I'd take a bit more time going down and go all nostalgic following the routes/stopping points we last used @ 30 years ago.
    Then spend a week alternating between the beach and some twisty roads.:sun:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Nice one
    Wife says we can't go to France this year,but we've been 5 times in a row.
    Ah well,Germany and Spain this year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bonniegirl

Bonniegirl New Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Gainsborough
    Looks like you'll have a fantastic time. I used to live in the Auvergne so you'll see all the volcanoes on your way through near the Clermont Ferrand area, even from the auto route the views are amazing. Millau bridge too! Very jealous. ....I really need to do a nostalgia trip one of these days too!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nice routes there mate. Enjoy, when are travelling?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Will be over there 8th to 18th June.
    Hoping it won't be quite as hot as it last June was when travelling home - 40c was a tad warm.....:eek:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Should be ok in June, but given the weather as it is who can tell...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Last year it was storms and flooding in the area about two weeks before I went.
    Then by the time I went at the end of June, it was too hot to ride the bike with temps in the 38/40c area, so I had to sit at the beach or bar most of the week :eek::D

Downside to retiring early is most of your mates are still working so can't make extra hols like this.
    Plus side is you can take advantage of last minute offers etc so this year I'm rattling around in an 8 berth a/c mobile home at a beach in the South of France all week for next to nothing :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  10. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Been going most years since 1989 :D
    Normally get good weather, been in June a few times but most of the time we go in early September.
    But I always head South to the Med coast normally where the weather is better due to the microclimate.

Tried Spain last year but not impressed.
    Was expensive to get to and from, roads are good in places but speed limits are all over the place*, was bored shitless stuck on the ferry for 24 hours.
    *Only lasting memory from Spain was a speeding ticket, never had one all the years I've been going to France.
    So generally I prefer France.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Shame they stopped the Motorail, that was an ideal way of getting down the South quickly and cheaply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    We tried Spain once, the wife wasn't keen on the food so we haven't been back. Like you said, 24 hours on a ferry is mind numbing. France is better for us, we always spend time around Castellane and then head down to the coast around St Tropez before heading into Italy / Austria /Switzerland etc.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Best travelling companion I've ever had :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Senior Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Somerset
    Shame, met mine when we were teenagers, she had a Bantam her dad had restored for her, I had an XL125 and we rode everywhere together, now she prefers pillion. Anyway I need someone to tell me how to do things while we're away :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Since I took early retirement, I do the odd solo trip, but most of the time it's been trips with my wife on her Bonnie

France_2015_0918_093238AA.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  16. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Yup, sometimes we do cheat and take the bikes on the trailer to head south but most of the time it's been on the bikes.

• Like Like x 1