Frame Breaking

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Foxy1, Aug 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    I've had mi bike back a month, and last night I took a pillion for the 1st time wi mi Speed Triple. I went down a bumpy road, and the back of mi bike slumped. I pulled over, and found that the 2 top lugs that hold the sub frame to the main frame, had snapped!! It was only the back of the petrol tank bracket that stopped me and mi son dropping on to the back tyre! He had to walk a couple of miles home, whilst I went to a nearby small bike shop, owned by a mate of mine, very gingerly, and with mi weight ont pegs. Lucky I have a sylph like figure........
    He reckons its bin cracked for a while, and the extra weight had made it go, as it was mainly dark where it had come apart, apart from a small area, where it musta still bin attached.
    Anyone heard of this before?

2. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Sorry to hear about your problem, but glad everyone is safe. Three possible causes come to my mind and two would lead me to think that the bolts are the incorrect ones for this make/model/location - 1) corrosion from dissimilar metals, and 2) stress crack from a poor quality bolt. We all know that not all bolts are created equal. The third reason would be poor engineering (material, torque specification, wrong loading, etc.) leading to one of the two above issues. However, if it was poor engineering, I would expect to see many others having the same problem.

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hack Driver it sounds like the frame has snapped, nowt to do with duff bolts.
    Foxy, that’s proper bad luck and not summat I’ve heard of before. What’s the next move considering it’s already a write off after the recent theft.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Nasty ! How old is your bike ?

5. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    I'm taking it to a mate of mine, who's a top ally welder, int morning.
    It's a 2011 model.

6. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Sorry about blathering on about bolts. I confused 'lugs' with bolts. Now if I just don't confuse the lovely wife with some random woman in the store, I'll be a lucky man :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1