Fox Rear Suspension-street Twin

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by RO73, Aug 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    #1 RO73, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Just upgraded the rear suspension. Still have to mess with the preload a bit but so far it’s a huge improvement.

2D9C2055-89CD-4FDD-8ECB-97102D60D293.jpeg

2F173CB4-3E39-4C16-94CE-4EE12891C48B.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oldgoat

oldgoat New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Wisconsin, USA
    They look great! Where did you get them? I'd like to install them on my 2017 Street Twin, but I am running into a problem. Here in the USA the Fox shocks are available for the Street Cup (part number A9640208) but not for the Street Twin (A9640207). As I understand it, the shocks for the Street Cup are 19 mm longer. If I installed them I would probably need to raise the front end, which I'd rather not do (for cost reasons, also I'm only 5'8" and don't want to raise the seat height, esp. as I will probably be raising it a bit when upgrading to a thicker saddle). Any advicce?

4. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Here in the UK Fox shocks are available for the Street Twin from any Triumph dealer. I'm surprised that's not the case in the US. I guess you could order them from a British dealer and pay the extortionate shipping costs.

5. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    I am also in the US. I got them on Facebook marketplace. You can buy them from the triumph dealers here as well. They do make them for the Street Twin.

6. atrampabroad

atrampabroad Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Black Forest - Germany
    Would be great to hear how you get along with them. I’ve had my 2019 Street Twin just over a year now about 9000 km (5600 mi.) Now I‘m planning upgrades and modifications - will probably begin with suspension.

7. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    Hands down the best modification I’ve made to the ST, and I’ve made quite a few. I love that you can adjust them on the fly when riding 2 up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. oldgoat

oldgoat New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Wisconsin, USA

9. oldgoat

oldgoat New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Wisconsin, USA
    Yeah, I know they make them, but getting them is another matter. Who is your Triumph dealer? Maybe I can order them from your dealer, or at least put my dealer here in Wisconsin in contact with your dealer. When I went to the Fox website and searched by the two part numbers, the ones for the Street Cup/Street Scrambler (A9640208) came up, but the ones for the Street Twin (A9640207) came up empty ("No results found"). I got the numbers from a very nice YouTube video ( , click on "Show More").

Beyond that, how do you like the shocks? I'm not happy with the stock shocks, they give a rough ride on our horrible "paved" roads here, and at speed I sometimes feel like the bike is ready to pitch me off. My light weight (150 lbs) probably does not help. But regardless, I need an upgrade to a fully adjustable set.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    My local dealer is Motorcycles of Dulles in Virginia. As I stated earlier, it is the best upgrade I’ve made to the motorcycle. It completely transformed the handling. Well worth the money.

11. oldgoat

oldgoat New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Wisconsin, USA
    Thanks for the info! I'll contact Motorcycles of Dulles.

• Like Like x 2
  12. atrampabroad

atrampabroad Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Black Forest - Germany
    btw what did you upgrade with?

13. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    Fox rear suspension.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pistonpinup

pistonpinup Member

May 14, 2020
    Bristol, UK
    hi there was it fairly easy? i am probably going to do it at some point too!

15. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    Yes. Very easy. Just make sure you have the right tools. Also, make sure you use a torque wrench when tightening the bolts on the new shocks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. oldgoat

oldgoat New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Wisconsin, USA
    RO37,

What force setting on the torque wrench?

I have reached out to Motorcycles of Dulles to see if they can get the shocks for the ST. I got an email back from the dealer's president, but he must have been confused because he seems to want to sell me a new bike. I emailed back to clarify what I need, we'll see what he comes back with.

You mentioned you have made several mods to your ST. What specifically? I am interested in some mods for touring purposes -- seat (Corbin?), some light luggage (Ventura?) and -- I never thought I would want this but as I approach age 70 it sounds more attractive -- a windshield (Madstad). Any advice?

17. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    I don’t remember the torque settings but watch The Man Cave’s video on it. He goes over the torque specs.

I did the following upgrades. Some useful, some cosmetic.
    Fox Shocks
    Vance & Hines exhaust
    Decat and replaced with x-pipe
    Mototrio side covers
    Motone tail tidy
    Rizoma rear turn signals
    Led headlight bulbs
    Triumph bar end mirrors
    After getting a flat tire a few weekends ago, I replaced both tires with the Continental Road Attack III. Huge improvement over stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the motorcycle before the tail tidy and new tires.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. oldgoat

oldgoat New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Wisconsin, USA
    Thanks for the list. I especially like those side covers. Wonder how they would look on my ST? I've got the cranberry tank -- in retrospect I wish I had gotten flat black.
    I see you have a Pit Bull stand. I have one as well. Where did you get your axle spindle? I bought mine online from TEC, but I am very leery of it -- IMO it's a good centimeter too short, and so there are too few threads onto which to attach the spindle nut. The first time I used it, I swear it looked like the spindle nut was going to shear off. I wedged wood blocks under the frame for support. All this makes the simple process of chain adjustment a little too exciting.

19. pistonpinup

pistonpinup Member

May 14, 2020
    Bristol, UK
    Hi There thanks for the reply ;)

Yeah I saw the video from caveman and seems pretty straight forward. will use it to get the right torque.

I noticed you did the Motone tail tidy - also on my list as you lose that long ugly thing and get some underseat storage - however I would also like to have the triumph side panniers - wonder if this is all compatible?
    I realise that the bench seats from triumph are not compatible with side luggage - which is really badly done by triumph in my view, they need to learn from Lego, every piece needs to fit! :yum If buying aftermarket then ok not all needs to work but their own bits need to fit...is a bit lame!: unamused:

20. RO73

RO73 Active Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Virginia, USA
    I really like the look of the Mototrio side panels. They make them in Matte black and gloss black. I will say they are way overpriced. I ended up finding mine in the classified section on another forum.
    As for the axle spindles, they are the one from TEC. I too thought that they were too short until I started playing with each side. I finally got them to where both sides had plenty of threads. It's hard to explain really but play around with each side until it is perfectly centered. They haven't given me any trouble since.

• Like Like x 1