Forward Slash Upsurge!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerkat, Oct 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Have you noticed how a change in language or writing is quickly picked up by some people but not others? One that has recently gained in popularity is the use of the forward slash, to the point where it has now become annoying/irritating. More often than not just one of the two chosen words is sufficient/adequate. I find it interesting/fascinating that some people find it necessary to use/incorporate the forward slash into just about all their posts. Most of the time it is unnecessary and can actually detract from what the author/writer is attempting/trying/wanting/endeavouring to say.
    As we are on the subject of incorrect use of language, another one that seems to have come out of nowhere is the use of 'So' at the start of a sentence. Yes, of course there are times when this is appropriate but too often it isn't. Question: "Would you like tea or coffee?" Reply: "So, I'd like tea please". You know what I'm on about. Some people don't even know they're doing it! Bloody irritating! :mad:
    Lastly, please stop saying 'swop out' instead of 'swop' (unless you are from the US and we know they can't spell anyway ;) ). Why add an extra word for no good reason? Bonkers.

Ok, rant over, think I'll go polish the Bonneville's chain :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Cor Blimey! @Callumity will hunt you down like a dawg! this is his domain o_O:eek::scream:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    "swap" innit ?

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    According to the Concise Oxford Dictionary both swop and swap are acceptable.

In response to Dozers Dad's comment that the use of the forward slash in this way is a form of abbreviation, well isn't it the opposite? It means you use two (or more) words, separated by the slash, when more often than not just one would do. So you're extending rather than abbreviating :p

Just doing my pedantic best to save our wonderful language! :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Me neither. I thought all blokes slashed forwards?

• Funny Funny x 6
  6. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Multiple choice....

7. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Ellipsis are just three dots... just saying.

• Funny Funny x 1