For Us Self Employed

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by crispey, Mar 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ok there are a few of these petitions flying around so this is just one.
    Briefly being self employed we can defer our next tax payment but it will still have to be payed at some point, so we’ll have to keep that money aside as some of us will not have any work til this ends.
    As self employed we will not be getting 80% of our income can apply for universal credit but this is means tested, so if you and your spouse have £16000 plus in savings you don’t qualify, and it’s less than £100 per week.
    As a self employed person you need a cushion to pay for tax and should you fall ill break a leg and can’t work you need this as you don’t get sickness pay. So the govt is expecting you to spend this, quite rightly I hear you say, well what happens when you’ve spent all your savings, cos god knows how long this will go on for, isas included, retirement fund if not in pension, and all is fine and you are able to work again, with no cushion? Can’t pay your tax bill, fall ill and can’t work?
    the employed are getting 80% of their wage from the govt if their workplace shuts down so why can’t they give something to us?

https://platform.organise.org.uk/ca...LHZ3K7p2&utm_medium=whatsapp&utm_source=share

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sorry to be a bleeding heart but if you consider all your live sport events that are being televised, on Saturday, highlight games aswell employ on average over 30 freelance people per game/event, not including post production . So that’s all premiership football and rugby union and league plus all your athletics darts horse racing etc etc that amounts to one hell of a lot of people. Then there are your plumbers, electricians etc etc. They still have the same bills as employed people!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Signed :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #4 TEZ 217, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Just signed

Gotta be fair right across the board during this lot,

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Very well said from someone who doesn’t do politics (me)

6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I feel your pain guy's and agree that it is unfair for the government not to treat the self employed in a similar way to the employed.

7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Such a good time to be retired on a big fat pension! At least you OAP’s are used to staying indoors and snoozing in an armchair:eek:;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Not sure about the big fat pension, but the staying in the house I agree with and taken a well earned rest in the afternoons :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:joy::joy::joy:SAVINGS...HA:poop::joy::joy::joy:
    What’s them :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes but we are mostly in the high risk group of people, so that is not that fair.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Totally agree that the self employed have been left up the creek

IMHO fairness would be paying 80% of the wage based on average of last three years tax returns up to the same maximum as the employed. While some may say this is not fair, in the real world I have lost count of the number of times over the last 20+ years that my self employed mates have scoffed at how much earnings they declared and therefore how much tax they paid in relation to me being an employee. It didnt bother me as each to there own but it just may come back to bite "some"

I'm not saying everyone is the same but this would be a fair way of doing it unless I have missed something?

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    I’m in the same boat as Crispey here. My working season was due to kick off in March, and now it is indefinitely cancelled and nothing in the government budget for me at all.

I joined the queue at my local supermarket on Friday to work as a delivery driver since they are crying out for help, but they couldn’t cope with over 200 people rocking up, so they got everyone to write down their contact information and told us to feck off. Will approach them again tomorrow since if it is a shortage of vans I have my own along with business insurance and goods in transit insurance.

if that isn’t good enough it is a trip to the bank to see if they will honour my loss of employment insurance. I have a 4k health insurance too, but they will probably wriggle free of that on the basis of it’s not me that is ill.

13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    @SleepyOwl, I know where you’re coming from, there are people who will try and do everything to keep their tax bills down, I hate paying tax but I do, and I pay the right amount. I/We don’t want 80% of what we’ve earned over the last 3 years just enough for us to live on and pay ourbills so we don’t lose our security blanket. What comes after this is an unknown, but I’m sure there won’t be the same amount of work as there was for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    @GaleForceEight good on you, don’t sit on you’re arse, im hoping I can use my time to support the NHS with my bloodbiking but that won’t pay the bills so will be looking to do the same shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  16. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Definitely agree that we’re all in the same boat... as a NHS nurse, I know that asking folk to stop what you’re doing and help squash the bell curve of the infection rate is hard for everyone... we all need to be treated the same if we’re expected to behave the same... signed and best of luck fellas

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1