For Us Self Employed

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by crispey, Mar 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don’t know what use this will be but.... might be a bit busy!!

HMRC have just set up a help line specifically for the self employed and businesses who will be struggling

The Coronavirus helpline : 0300 456 3565
    They will give you advice on your tax and any benefits you can claim for.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #2 MadMrB, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    I hope everyone who genuinely needs financial help does get sufficient real assistance. Its must be a very worrying time for self-employed and those being laid off :worried:

I feel very fortunate that just last week I went from being self-employed to being employed, even though my self-employment was reasonably reliable.

• Like Like x 4
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I think that everyone is gonna be hit financially :(
    Some more than others :confused:
    Hope everyone gets through this relatively unscathed :)
    From a personal point of view I started off with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left :p

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 7
  4. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Lost £6000 so far in cancelled work.

Self employed, and the most helpful thing they could offer at the moment was 'do you need help with mortgage repayments?'. I told them I had spent years going without stuff some folks take for granted to pay off the mortgage so our house is our own... but I am now stuffed for money to feed the children, put fuel in the van, pay the utility companies, and pay the council their blood money for doing next to nothing for us but give out freebies to the workshy (I then quoted an example). The silence was deafening until they said 'maybe make an appointment with the job centre to apply for universal credit'.

They went from being absolutely useless to fecking insulting.

• WTF WTF x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Yeah, agreed - not hopeful of any tangible help coming my way any time soon. What I do think is that - 2 years away from our plan to retire and go live overseas - our savings will be pretty much wiped out. Awful situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It is indeed a tough time for all. I hope that everybody can find the support that they need and a way through this mad time. :heart::heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Some help at last?
    upload_2020-3-24_7-56-8.jpeg S

• Like Like x 1
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The chancellor is making a statement at 11:30 this morning, not sure if it’ll be on tv or not

9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Think there might be something on bbc parliament channel at 12:30

10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup, I do like the arguments that are being put forward but they keep saying that they have to work out who the wealthy self employed and who might have savings are, they didn’t worry about that with the PAYE did they? Also yes it’s great to defer the next tax payment but it’ll still have to be paid and if you’ve spent all your savings what will you pay it with? There’s no guarantee the work will be there for a long time after this crisis is over. I’m lucky, I’m not desperate yet but I will be and am concerned for the future so I really feel for those that are really struggling with no savings

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Some of us wage slaves have already been laid off because of coronovirus, government promises or not

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    So they have announced measures to help the self employed now.

Without hinting as yet how to action it.

on lighter news, the people who already get discounted council tax are getting a further £150 knocked off it. People who pay the full amount are still expected to pay the full amount.

13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I’m exactly the same Alan, I’ve only a small savings pot left from my parents years ago and there’s no way I’m spending it as it’ll never reappear. I also work on month to month and all money is accounted for.

• Agree Agree x 1