Fluctuating Idle

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Cupracing, Aug 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    #1 Cupracing, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    I picked my RS up today, ride back was great but noticed the idle seems very erratic. Is this normal on the RS?
    My speed triple S didn't do this

• Like Like x 1
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    That's what my wife used to call me:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    The only difference was , Not RS but Useless:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    It looks like you only got jokes in reply to your idle and erratic problem ;)

My RS was a bit wobbly to start with. I think I saw it (rather than heard it) on the TFT rev counter - the segments fluctuate noticeably at idle...and then once I had spotted it, I couldn't 'unsee' it, so to speak. I'm wondering whether the display exaggerates the fluctuations in a way that an analogue needle doesn't.

Saying that, I did perform a 'Reset Adaption' to see if it would help:

From cold, start without touching the throttle or any controls.
    Run for 10 to 15 minutes (or at least until the fan kicks in) and the ECU will adapt to the engine.

After this, mine really did seem smoother - or perhaps it just settles down given a few miles under your belt (assuming you've picked it up from new).

Enjoy your new bike!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    Thanks for a sensible reply, I actually rode to triumph today to show them and they confirmed it was ok and nothing to worry about. I’m wondering if crap fuel may have something to do with it, as I had to stop at a Gulf station on my way back from the dealership on pickup day and they didn’t have super unleaded.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    You're welcome! Try the reset thing...it's so easy to do and you have nothing to lose (except 15 mins of your life and some wasted petrol) :)

I just use regular low-fat unleaded, and mine's running fine now, albeit with 1,200 miles on the clock. I'm sure it will settle down.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Good sensible answers guys! o_O

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    I noticed mine does that too when cold, sounds kinda lopy, but smooths out once warmed up. Nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    To reset the adaptions, do as Mr Triple described, but let it idle for 12 minutes after the fan comes on. This is the "12 minute tune" as it was described for my 2010 model. I doubt the process has changed for later models.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That's interesting info Chewie. I'd read that it was 10 mins, 12 mins, 15 mins or until the fan comes on. I asked my dealer about it recently, and they said it was 12 mins from cold and not to worry about the fan.

Your version sounds convincing...but should I trust the internet or the dealer.

Easy answer I think. I'm voting for 12 minutes after the fan comes on :)

(unless anyone else has a better interpretation o_O)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hi dude

Reset adaption? Is this something within the rs submenu on the dash Or tuneecu?

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #12 MrTriple, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Nothing that advanced - it's basically just leaving the bike to idle, but following a specific series of steps when you do it. During this time, the ECU will 're-learn'.

There's been some 'internet variation' in exactly what to do, but my latest understanding (which I checked with my dealer) goes:

Reset adaption:
    From cold, start without touching throttle or any controls.
    Run for a minimum of 12 minutes after the fan comes on, and the ECU will adapt to the engine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Cupracing.
    I have to agree with MrTriple. I had to do the same with my sprint and I believe Jack Lilley's said at least 12 minutes. And again a new bike does need time to settle and those RS'S are Revie machines so they do tend to be ready to race. Also when starting your bike you should never give it any throttle till the engine settles don't even touch the throttle as it is reading its own brain to prepare itself.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'd checked with Jack Lilley too, so at least this info seems to stack up. I'll add "a minimum of 12 minutes" to my note though, as it definitely doesn't need to be an exact time. You can see why there are different interpretations when you read and repeat this stuff online.

15. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    Many thanks for the input chaps, I performed the adaption and the idle is a lot better now so I’m happy

• Like Like x 4