Five Week Lockdown For Us

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BonnieCat, Dec 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    So our Prime Minister has put us on a five week lockdown and foreign travel not allowed till mid March. Not quite sure if that is mandatory or not. Perhaps @Vulpes Wim can confirm. Either way this is depressing.
    I guess he had no choice as COVID numbers were rising rather dramatically.
    This is getting scarily close to the Ireland trip in May.

Prime minister Mark Rutte called on everyone in the Netherlands to work together to combat coronavirus in an address to the nation on Monday night, and urged people not to make plans to travel abroad until mid March at least. Speaking from his private office in The Hague against a soundtrack of chants from anti coronavirus rules campaigners, Rutte said that he hoped this would be the last time he would have to speak directly to the population. The Netherlands, Rutte said, is going into lockdown, involving all places where people come together. The aim, he said, is to reduce human contact to a minimum and so try to prevent the virus from spreading. ‘We realise just how far-reaching this decision is, particularly given that we are in the Christmas period,’ Rutte said. ‘This has been a year of sadness and mourning for many… and one in which stress and loneliness have moved through all the generations.’ Rutte urged everyone to keep to the rules, and said that the majority of the population are doing their best. ‘It is not an innocent flu … as the demonstrators outside seem to think,’ the prime minister said, referring to the noisy group chanting outside his office. The new measures will remain in effect until January 19 and, Rutte said, he and health minister Hugo de Jonge will hold a press conference on January 12 to outline what the next stages will be. Schools The most far-reaching measure, Rutte said, is to close all schools, colleges and universities until January 18, with the exception of people taking exams or involved in practicals. All non-essential shops will shut, but markets, chemists and dry cleaners and launderettes will remain open. ‘This is a hard message for some shops, but this is what we have to do,’ Rutte said. The scope of government support measures is being widened and the greater the loss, the more support shops can apply for, the prime minister said. All public buildings will close, but libraries will remain open to exchange books. Hotels can stay open but can no longer provide their guests with food or drinks because ‘too many people are using hotels to eat out’, Rutte said. Funeral parlours will remain open, and vulnerable groups will still be able to attend community centres, he said. All jobs involving physical contact but which are not of a medical nature will also be closed for the five week period. Cannabis cafes and restaurants can remain open for takeaway services, as they are at present. Groups outside must be no greater than two, which means you can walk with a friend. as long as you keep 1.5 metres distance, Rutte said. Outdoor sport for adults is also limited to two, but walking and cycling are still to be recommended, the PM told viewers. Travel too remains a controversial area. ‘Stay at home and don’t travel unless necessary,’ he said. ‘Of course, if you have rented a house for Christmas you can visit it, but while you are there, stick to the rules as well.’

Foreign travel
    Travel abroad for all but essential reasons should be avoided up to mid March,Rutte said. ‘The risks and uncertainties are too great,’ the prime minister said. ‘We will also ask our neighbouring countries to make sure their people do the same,’ he said. From Tuesday, everyone arriving in the Netherlands from outside the EU will have to provide a document at Schiphol airport showing they have tested negative for the virus. Working at home must once again become the norm and public transport is again being reserved for essential journeys. ‘We have to reduce work related infections, which are still far too high,’ he said, and appealed directly to employers, urging them to make it possible for people to work at home. The prime minister ended on a positive note, telling his audience that things ‘will get better’. ‘There will come a moment when coronavirus is behind us,’ he said. ‘2021 will be a year of hope, when there is light at the end of the tunnel.’ ‘In the coming weeks, it is all down to reducing contacts and we have to help each other to do this,’ he said. ‘We will get through this together, and for each other.’

Read more at DutchNews.nl:

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    As far as I understand it Nikki, is that foreign travel is discouraged. If you go though, especially to a high risk destination, you will get no help from the embassy to repatriate if you get in any kind of bother.

Good to see you back in here, by the way! :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Last week my daughter flew from Uk to Shiphol, then Geneva. No test required, just basic stuff, gel, mask.
    But that was last week..

4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #4 Vulpes, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    That will have changed now that the new measures have been announced. It's a right pain in the arse, but neccesary, apparently... :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Are there no plans for mass vaccinations in Holland ?

6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #6 Vulpes, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    If all goes to plan vaccination is to start early January, Andy. Apparently there is a problem with the numbers of vaccines that can be supplied, though.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I think if you can get your 50 and over, your vulnerables and your bikers vaccinated, you should be OK.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Over 50 and a biker - 2 out of three, I'll be front of the queue!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I suspect that the situation in NL is much like here in the UK. If people followed the guidance and thought a bit more about what they were doing, the situation would be a whole lot easier for everyone. Mind you, our inept government and it's illogical decision-making ("eat out to help out", anyone?) doesn't help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    If the first lock down worked, why do another?
    If the first lock down didn't work, why do another?
    :laughing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Oy, I’m first in the queue. Over 60 and owner of 2 bikes :confused::joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I'm just sixty and only one bike - I'll shuffle back.... :joy:o_O

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Thats not great news :confused:... Mid March is a good 6 weeks or so off the trip :grinning:
    Under the current circumstances, nothings certain anyway!

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "But that was last week..." Yep, it seems that every day is a new day and you just never know what each day will bring.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm over 60 and the owner of 3 bikes...let me step just in front of you, @BonnieCat! ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Bet the suicide rate is catching up with COVID deaths!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  17. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    One bike and 2 other things ......:joy::joy: Sorry, I’ll say it before the others come along....HD riders will probably take precedence, owing to their clear lack of taste, which is a known symptom of COVID-19. ( sorry....couldn’t resist that one x:kissing_heart:) . I’ll go back to sleep now !

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    I am 55 with heart problems and ... (I‘ll be back after counting..) bikes...
    So pls let me step in front of you, won‘t you :dizzy: , Eric

And remember, line on the left, one cross each!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Humbug.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    A Humbuger with curly fries for me please...

• Funny Funny x 6