Featured America Fitted A Nice Pair Of Spots

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by MrOrange, May 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#1 MrOrange, May 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
    So I got a pair of spots from a nice member of this wee forum (@dilligaf ) . Decided I would have to do some work to get them to fit my America , putting the wires internally and also retaining the original indicator positionin. First thing was drilling the bar either end and cutting a slot in the middle to get the wires out the other end.
    upload_2017-5-16_19-21-0.jpeg

You can also see to the bottom left my template for the mounting plate I had to fabricate. The two tabs coming out of the back of the lightbar go thro' the two slots in the adapter plate.
    upload_2017-5-16_19-22-49.jpeg

This is the adapter plate made up and drilled. You can see this drops the indicator bar down low enough for the light bar to sit on top. The picture below is it finished and cleaned up.
    upload_2017-5-16_19-24-44.jpeg

And this is the light bar in and the indicator bar mounted.
    upload_2017-5-16_19-25-21.jpeg

And with the cover installed
    upload_2017-5-16_19-25-49.jpeg

Wired the earths on the relay and the 2 spots together and used an earth strap to the frame, the live took to the battery through an inline fuse and ran a wire up to the tank to find an ignition live from the tacho light feed. All connections soldered on and fitted a rubber sock (finger of a nitrile glove) to keep water out and then tucked it into the back of the headlight nacelle.
    upload_2017-5-16_19-27-38.jpeg

Fitted and not all working, got a bulb out, will pick one up tomorrow.
    upload_2017-5-16_19-31-15.jpeg

Added bonus, now got some blind spot mirrors and also get to see how cool I look riding along ;-)

upload_2017-5-16_19-33-37.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

upload_2017-5-16_19-43-36.jpeg
    This was supposed to be the last image, but struggling to edit that post so here it is, as you can see a decent blind spot mirror !

• Like Like x 3
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Wow mate they look cool :cool:
    How much were they :p
    I might get some :)
    (Ones with both bulbs working :yum)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I'll let you know how much the bulb was, I expect a refund to the value of !!!!;):laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. beanie865

beanie865 New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    west yorkshire
    very neat and EXACTLY what Im looking for...do you have wiring info/colours for a numpty (2016 America) ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Took + power straight from battery (in line fuse), used frame as an earth and picked up the ignition live from under the tank console, there are 2 green and black wires run to unused multi plug, use either.
    Just these three wired into a relay and your away. If unsure how to wire a relay, do Google search, plenty info. I'll try remember to draw up a wiring diagram tomorrow and post up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nice job Mr O. I think the bike looks great with the spots on and the benefit is you are so much more visible to the dozy car drivers. I ride my LT with my spots on when I'm in traffic all the time. My mates reackon my bike is like a becon when I follw them.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 2
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Does the LT have a switch then? Where abouts and what does it look like ????

9. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    All the Thunderbirds do , its next to the hi/low beam on the left hand cluster.
    The spots look good thou. Very jealous

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep come as standard on the left consol.
    Wessa
    20170519_091118766_iOS_LI.jpg

11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Thanks, we poor America riders don't get such luxuries ! :confounded:

Was thinking of how to install a switch on the tank console, but want a nice neat job. Will look out for a nice switch and fitting.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    @MrOrange would the switch cluster not fit your bike. If it did I'm sure you would manage to modify the wiring to work with yours. Check eBay for a left hand switch from any of the Thunderbirds. :)
    After seeing them on yours I've decided to get spots sorted for mine now. It's your all fault :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

:p, they do look nice, and I do feel like an increased road presence with them on. Got a 600 mile run to do next week, will be good to see, if I get less eejits 'not' seeing me ????

With the added bonus of being rather excellent blind spot mirrors. I can actually see if they are on, by looking at the other one, the angle of view is that WIDE !!!!:) Had a group of pedestrians walk up the side of the bike whilst I was waiting for lights to change, was able to keep an eye on them all the way from disappearing from my mirror view, all the way to being visible at the side of me. Be useful on dual / motorways.

I remember a few years ago, seeing a convex mirror that mounted on the stem/screen - Riderscan, that allowed a full view behind and to the side, I see where they got their inspiration from now.
    [​IMG]

14. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Nice !
    We have a traditional term around here which I can now use to describe you.
    Yer a right bobby dazzler !

• Like Like x 1
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Gawd your a weird shape :p

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  16. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    Good job well done.
    I do however have a sneaking suspicion you're my brother from another mother Mr Orange......
    Not only did we both play ice hockey and both ride America's, but I noticed the archery target in the background. - does a Nishizawa recurve mean anything to you?

• Like Like x 1
  17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I am not aware of Nishazawa (had to google) but yes I too am an archer. You can see my recurve limbs in the first picture, have a target in the garden, so often leave the bow out, ready to shoot (not strung tho' !) Got a recurve and an american flat bow. Shot indoor competition over the winter, best place was 23rd in Scotland at one point. :cool:

Just started getting further coaching from a Level 4 guy, he is struggling with the fact, I have too much upper body strength and don't use my shoulders, easy do it with my arms !!! Trying to get rid of this bad habit. He asked what other sport / activities I did, said I did kayaking and used to do Ice Hockey, he just rolled his eye's and said "Arrrgh" !!! :p:laughing:

If you tell me you kayak too - I am coming down and DNA testing !!!!:joy:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    No kayaking, but I did a bit of water skiing donkeys years ago - its that speed addiction thing!. I don't do the archery either now, It was something that I did for a while after doing a corporate event then joining an evening course at the local school. A fifty pound draw weight would play havoc with my shoulders these days....
    Two America riding former ice hockey players, who can shoot arrows with great accuracy, as Harry Hill would say, "what are the chances of that happening!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Reckon they helped save my bacon today, car pulled out to pass a tractor coming towards me.!!!
    Saw me in time and nipped back in sharpish, thank feck, gave me a wee shot of adrenaline.

20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Glad things worked out for you. There is no doubt that the additional lights make you more visible:):)
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 1