Fit And Finish

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by r2uzenblot, Sep 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. r2uzenblot

r2uzenblot New Member

Sep 19, 2020
    Bridgnorth
    I have owned 11 new Triumphs (and am an avid fan) so I guess I have a bit of experience on Triumph new models. I have just bought a 9 month old very low mileage Street Scrambler and am disappointed at some of the finishing. I am going to replace some of the bolts which have gone furry but attached is a picture of a cover and the laquer is very flakey! And should the frame also flake so easily. With modern manufacturing systems and procedures it should be the same wherever the bike is built but do people think that things are not as good as they used to be?

cover.jpg

rear shock frame.jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Sorry; but Triumph could end up in the same sh*t it was in late 70s-80s if they insist on letting foriegn factory's make their parts/bikes. There are too many instances of poor quality getting through in last 4-5yrs to keep us Brits buying them if it continues?
    Just my tuppence worth!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Personally I have always took the view that any item that is going to be outside (bike or anything else) has to get everything protected with say GT85 and monitored until the item has effectively weathered. After that and in particular fasteners generally look ok but just slightly dull. There are always the odd one that decide to peel or rust. A lot depends on where you live, where you store the bike, damp etc. Only thing that flabbergasts me about Triumphs is their policy of leaving aluminium unprotected!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    To be honest many manufacturers are doing the same. I had an early F4 MV Agusta back in the early noughties and the fit and finish on that was much better than the later ones. I know friends who have upgraded their Aprilias and been disappointed with the quality of components on their new bikes vs the old one. Two wrongs don't make a right, but it does seem to be the trend and unless more owners make a fuss about it to their dealers then the manufacturers will continue along the same (money saving) path.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    take it back they’ll replace tha flakey engine casing.

6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The last bike I bought new prior to the SS in June was the Z in 2012 and with 35k+ on the clock, the finish is still nigh on perfect, save for a few frontal stone chips. Once a year it gets a full "strip" wash with all the plastics off and then the Corrosion Block treatment which no doubt helps. I intend to run the SS all year round so we'll see what the Winter brings. It's already had the same Corrosion Block treatment and still looks as new but it's not had a dousing in salt water yet. In the absence of a rear hugger I've sprayed the rear swingarm just forward of the rear wheel and also the ABS pump with black stonechip as that area is right in the firing line for grit and road crap. I've read somewhere, probably on here, that there's been cases of the steel rims rusting on the inside round the spoke area. Overall I'd say the fit and finish is no better or worse than many other machines.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    Same old story, short sighted greedy accounts putting costs before quality. :worried:

• Agree Agree x 4