First time taking my bike to Europe..Help!!

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Mar 17, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I’m needing advice here I’m going to the Sachsenring moto gp in Germany in July, probably staying in Chemnitz

I will be taking my bike and meeting friends who will be flying over from Scotland for the race weekend.

I’m thinking of getting the ferry from Newcastle or Hull to Amsterdam (but I’m open to suggestions) I’ve checked out the ferry prices just over £300 for a return, I wasn’t really wanting to pay as much as that does anyone know if there is a cheaper way?

I will be getting the ferry on Monday the 11th July and the return ferry will be Tuesday the 19th July. It doesn’t have to be those dates, but I want to be at the circuit for the 15th, 16th and 17th July.

I’m thinking that if I arrive in Amsterdam on the 12th it will give me plenty time to get to Chemnitz at night on the 14th, I want to stay clear off motorways as much as possible, I don’t mind taking the quickest route on the journey back to the ferry though, so if anyone has any suggestions for routes, places to visit and stay and any tips I would be grateful, I could extend dates by 3/4 days if I’m being a bit optimistic with the dates

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
  3. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    cheers for that, but i really dont fancy riding all the way down to Dover,...i might end up doing it though :( 560 miles of motorway is not my idea of fun!

4. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    I've been alternating between the New - Ams ferry and the Chunnel for the last 13 years, I can't make up my mind which I detest the most.

The ferry is an easier option with regard to being able to have a late morning start and a easy ride down to North Shields for the early evening departure. But, as you know it's costly, I keep an eye on the DFDS offer codes which pop up from time to time, tends to knock around £30 (10%) off the total which buys you a pizza and a couple of pints on board while you take in the evening entertainment in the caberet lounge.

http://www.promotionalcodes.org.uk/dfds-seaways/

Riding your bike down to Folkstone is a real ball-breaker.... every time I do it I say never again. It saves you the ferry cost but you now need two overnight stops in a B&B or hotel which will cost you around £50 a night AND fuel for the extra 700 miles you'll put on your bike. Still a saving as thebiglad says but when arse-ache kicks in (which it will at some point) you'll wish you had spent a bit more and taken the ferry.

All said and done it's all part of the fun though and the hardships we have to endure living up here in the frozen North. You could also book the ferry one way and ride home the Long Way Up and see which you prefer for your next trip.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Cheers for the info Reggie,everything is up in the air at the moment because one person is now saying he is unable to go to Sachsenring but he can make the Aragon Gp which is in September,it looks as though if i go to Aragon i am going to have to travel south to get the ferry over to Spain..i might just knock the whole idea on the head and go for the weekend package and fly over like i usually do. i'd really like to do a european tour on the bike sometime though, unfortunatley none of my biking mates are keen, so i'll be keeping an eye on here incase someone decides to organize one!

6. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    Shame. Well don't put your maiden trip to Europe off for too long as once you've done it there's no going back.

Two of the best trips i've done have been on my own when my normal touring mate wasn't free. You go where you want, stop where you want, photograph what you want. You can practice speaking French to the locals without your mate taking the piss if you say it wrong. Yes, my two solo trips down to the South of France were as good as anything i've done with others.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    From where you are Id do the ferry no end! Dover and back, cameras, more cameras plenty B&B costs plenty of crap filtering m25 and very square tyres!

8. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Just a thought if it is Stenna Line ferry to Holland...do you shop at Tesco?

Exchange your vouchers for 3 times face value, can be used on Stenna Line, also Eurotunnel going in September in the car for nothing!!

Teejay

9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Yeah that's what i was thinking,it's just a pity Newcastle or Hull don't have ferry's to France or Spain because if we end up going to Aragon it's a long ride to get there from Holland, i might be struggling with time, as i'd be spending 3 days at the GP, and i don't want to end up on the motorways in France and Spain,I'm thinking I'm going to need about 2 weeks for the trip and i might struggle to take that amount of time off.once we have decided on where we're going I'll have to have a good look at the map and see if it's doable in a shorter time i don't mind doing a lot of miles some days, but preferably not on motorways

10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    good to know, I'll keep that in mind

11. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    If you go for the long ride welcome in Staffordshire for a stop over

Teejay

• Like Like x 2
  12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Dougie, if you want to avoid autoroutes (motorways) whilst on the Continent, you should allow yourself double the travelling time. Yes, DOUBLE :eek::eek::eek:

13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah Dave, I'm kinda realizing now that I'd just have to get my head down and do some serious miles on the autoroutes until i reach my destination, then i could spend a bit more time exploring the area that I'd be based at for the GP

14. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    thanks for the kind offer Teejay, but if i was going for the long ride I'd do it in a oner i'd try and time it that I'd miss the worst of the traffic :eek:, then i would have a good sleep on the ferry..would just have to remember to wake up!

15. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    There used to be a ferry from Rosyth a year or three back. Superferry or summat. I take it that it is no more.:(

16. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    The 'Superfast' Rosyth to ZeeBrugge ferry.... yes it's gone now, we used that once back in 2005. I think it stopped running shortly afterwards. Was really convenient for us Scottish lads.

17. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Shame, as ever..........

All good things.........

• Like Like x 1
  18. lucas60

lucas60 Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Eat Ayrshire Scotland
    Hi Dougie D, I have been riding in Europe now every yr from 1999 except the last three due to an illnes which led to major surgery last March. Now back on my bike, I rode to Weymouth last week to see my mates who have allways travelled on my trips. We finalised the details of this yrs trip (one week in the black forest and one in normandy) . I live in East Ayrshire so it is 450 miles for me to Dover for the ferry. I know its not much fun but it is worth it because riding in Europe far surpasses anything in the uk. The Route Napolean in the Alps, the Rhonda in Spain, the Harz Mountains in Germany, the Austrian Tyrol, Italys high alpine passes, the Dolomites, etc all which I have experienced over the last thirty yrs on motorcycles. What I am trying to say here is that once you do it you cant stop,and it is an experience not to be missed. I am allways encouraging motorcyclist that I meet to give it a try. Not that im biased?

• Like Like x 3
  19. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    He's not wrong.
    Once you start it can get addictive.
    Will be through the tunnel in just over 3 weeks.
    I've been to Scotland a couple of times and it's just a case of knuckling down and getting the mileage done.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Dougie D all I have to say is you lucky sod, happy days ahead:):):)

• Like Like x 1