First Ride Of The Year... First Breakdown...

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Shaun Lee, Mar 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Hi

Took my 2002 Speed Triple out after taxing it on Sunday, bike behaving beautifully for about 40 mins, pulled in for fuel, then 5 minutes later it started to pop and fart a bit, then it just stopped, tried restarting it but it would just not fire up, engine was turning over but no misfiring or nothing, seemed like it had either no fuel or no spark, left it about 30 minutes and it started first time, managed to crawl home, now have an engine light on, how do I get the fault code out of the ECM? I assume its the multi pin connector near the battery? Can I just use any OBDI reader or do I need a specific software, any help would be appreciated, don't want to drive it anywhere in case it stops again... not easy to push and I live in the hills.. ;-))

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    TuneECU is a good place to start, go to their web site at https://www.tuneecu.net/, it's free to download on pc/laptop, also available on Android (think there is a small charge IIRC). There's plenty of help on the TuneECU website, plus if you enter it into the search on this website you'll find plenty more. Yes the multipin OBD connector is where you can connect to the bike by either Bluetooth or cable, each has it's advantages. Have a good read through the posts on this site.
    If you already have a OBDI reader you might get some understandable error codes (or may be not).
    Being the 955i with Sagem ECU I can't give current first hand advice (it's a while since I had a 955), but it's still listed as being compatible with TuneECU.
    Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    You sure its nothing to do with the new fuel,, !!! seems funny running sweet before re-fuelling then gan shit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    could have been the old fuel as it had been sat for 3 months, just coincidence with the fuelling stop?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Glad to hear you made it back ok.

But your tale clearly makes the point about unnecessary rides at the moment.

1 Needed fuel. Do you know whether the pump was contaminated with Covid-19? Do you know whether you - and your gloves - were and have contaminated others?

2 Very nearly needed help from others. Who might have been infected by you or vice versa.

Please stay at home and help to save lives.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Ditto, also I doubt old fuel would raise the engine light.
    Much as I'd love to get out for a ride myself with all this great weather :rolleyes::mad:, have to agree with figwold - it's time to stay at home. Whilst there are ways to refuel without contaminating/contamination, unforseen problems (such as you've experienced) might put others or yourself at risk.
    On the bright side you've got plenty of time to track down that problem. :)

7. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice, I managed to get the fault codes, they all seem fuel related but would appreciate any guidance on where to start:
    P1502 Code not known
    P0230 Fuel Pump primary circuit malfunction
    P1231 Code not known
    P0135 02 sensor heater circuit.. mine does not have an 02 sensor??
    P0462 Fuel level sensor circuit low input
    P0463 Fuel level sensor circuit high input

8. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'd start with the fuel pump relay

9. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Update, Fuel pump relay is OK, I just fitted a new fuel pump and filter, drained the tank and added new fuel. Same problem, ran for 5 minutes then stopped and will not start again.... But this time when I first started it the bike started but the dash wash flashing on and off and the alarm was chirping every minute or so... so starting to suspect the ECM? Does anybody know if the Daytona ECM from the same year 2002 would be compatible with the Speed Triple?

10. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Update, Fuel pump relay is OK, I just fitted a new fuel pump and filter, drained the tank and added new fuel. Same problem, ran for 5 minutes then stopped and will not start again.... But this time when I first started it the bike started but the dash wash flashing on and off and the alarm was chirping every minute or so... so starting to suspect the ECM? Does anybody know if the Daytona ECM from the same year 2002 would be compatible with the Speed Triple?

11. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Update, Fuel pump relay is OK, I just fitted a new fuel pump and filter, drained the tank and added new fuel. Same problem, ran for 5 minutes then stopped and will not start again.... But this time when I first started it the bike started but the dash display was flashing on and off and the alarm was chirping every minute or so... so starting to suspect the ECM? Does anybody know if the Daytona ECM from the same year 2002 would be compatible with the Speed Triple? Also this connector was very warm to the touch, nothing else was remotely warm, I did not think an alarm would raw a high current??

Triumph alarm.jpg

Triumph alarm.jpg

12. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    As I've said elsewhere on this forum alarms are the Devils work! :)
    I assume you've got the Datatool factory option fitted there, to decommission that you'll need the original blanking connector that from memory has one or two jump loops on it, if you have it that's where I'd start, it's quite likely the alarm is the source of all your troubles....... and nobody pays a blind bit of notice to them, so unless you're still in ear shot completely useless. (IMHO)
    I think there was some kind of recall on the Datatool alarms, yours might be subject to that, might find someting on here if you do a search. Good luck!

Edit: this might be what you're needing.....
    Alarm removal plug

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Thanks Col.. I like the sound of this.. I don't have a blanking plate as I only bought the bike 150 miles ago... but it has been great until this crap happened.. I will try to buy one just to eliminate it from my inquiries.. unless anybody has one available??

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Hi, This is getting crazy now.. bypassed the alarm with the connector, same problem so I guess at least that eliminates the alarm, did notice that the jump wire from connectors 1+2 was getting warm so it has to be something drawing excessive current that eventually fails after about 8 minutes.. then when it cools down it starts again, then the 10 amp fuse blew, this fuse protects the engine kill switch/fuel pump/ECM/starter according to the manual, I have fitted a new fuel pump and now just tried another ECM that I got cheap of Ebay, same problem.. I will look at the wiring to the kill switch but doubt that its the problem, the starter motor sounds fine and works without issue, it is not hot to the touch either, maybe I can start the bike then disconnect the starter motor to eliminate it, any other suggestions? There is nothing else left on the circuit...

15. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Have you dismantled the kill switch yet, give that a good clean up and check wiring routed around the headstock, the bike's old enough to have fatigue problems on wiring that is continually flexing.
    Otherwise your suggestion sounds a plan - may be something breaking down in the starter?
    Or it's standard stuff, trace the wiring back from that warm connector, look for corroded connectors or chafed wiring. I notice there's a non factory fuse holder coming off the battery in your photo, probably not relevent but might be worth disconnecting any non factory wiring a previous owner has fitted - just in case.
    Also have you removed error codes and found any reccuring/different, any change there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    Coils behave like that when heated and cooled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Don't have a relevent wiring diagram to hand, do the coils run off the 10A fuse that is blowing?

18. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Hi Col, really appreciate you staying with this!! The non standard fuse holder is for the Oxford battery conditioner so that should not be a problem? If it was the kill switch I would expect that there would be no power, it still turns over with all lights on so don't think its that either? Fault codes are the same:
    230 Fuel pump primary circuit malfunction, have replaced fuel pump and relay
    0463 Fuel level sensor circuit high input.. no idea about this one?
    1231 Fuel pump relay open circuit, changed relay and fuel pump...

Will check out the wiring tomorrow.. bike has only done 10K and never seen rain.. apparently, its like a new bike.. determined to find this before the lock down ends ;-))

• Like Like x 1
  19. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Hi mate, really appreciate you staying with this.. all the fault codes are fuel related, I would expect if it was a coil that it would start misfiring if one of the 3 coils started breaking down, but all 3 at exactly the same time? They are separate coils for each cylinder.

20. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    My later model has the pump and fuel level plugs keyed so you can't swap them over. It's not possible to connect them the wrong way round on yours is it? (there's also a redundant plug - grey IIRC - used for California bikes only)