Featured First Job For Ton-up Mcm

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Ron Ashurst, Jan 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst I came into the world screaming & covered in blood
    Subscriber

I got my first job for Ton-Up Motorcycle Maintenance. And of course it will not be easy.
    It's a 78 Yamaha 650, (I think), and will not run. It had been parked for 4 years in a shed when the guy bought it last fall. He claims he rode it home but now it will not start. The battery is stone dead and it needs some TLC. Heck, it needs a lot of TLC. I have a $500 budget and maybe a bit more if needed. :)

The owner used to ride about 15-20 years ago but tried to kick start it when it had no fuel in it. :rolleyes:
    One or both of the brakes is sticking and it was a bear to get on the trailer. I think a lot of the issues will just be basic cleaning and maintenance.

Does anyone know a good way to clean chrome without damaging the finish? It is looking pretty rough but is not flaking anywhere. Also the spokes are corroded really bad. I am just not sure what to do with those so any advice would be appreciated. I will post this in the Projects section soon.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Ton Up Logo 2.JPG

• Like Like x 20
  2. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Rubbing chrome with wet tin (aluminium) foil is supposed to be a good way to restore chrome, never tried it myself as I ususally use Mothers polish and finish with WD40/GT85.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member
    Subscriber

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I use this for my chrome - brilliant stuff:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ron.
    Those spokes were galvanised not chrome. And some fine wire wool and solvol autosol will have them looking new and will also clean the rims and cases. I would also just remove the plugs and pour a capful of petrol down each cylinder before trying to clean those carbs. The bad bit if he rode it after standing the rings may be seized on the pistons so there may be some barrel scoring. They were great old bikes.
    Regards & Good Luck
    Joe.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member
    Subscriber

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    That's a really clean bike. It should clean up nicely. I have used #0000 steel wool on my chrome with great success in the past. And, no it won't damage anything. Keep us informed.l

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member
    Subscriber

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    That Yami 650 twin brings back memories. My mate had one mid 70's with no stand. exactly the same colour scheme. At the Dragon rally in Wales '76 he lent it against a fence, everytime somebody went for a piss against the fence, the alarm went off........ That alarm didn't last long.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

That looks like fun Ron.
    It should keep you out of the pub for a few weeks! :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Noble Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Planet Earth
    #8 Wire-Wheels, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Takes me back. In the late 70's and early 80's I was working in a factory in Pomona,Ca. A workmate had one just like that. We used to park our bikes in a line on the sidewalk on the shady side of the building. I was riding the little brother of this bike, a Yamaha TX500. In that group was also an old.Kawasaki 500 2-stroke, a Kawi 550LTD, maybe a couple more oldies. At break time we'd fire them all up and ride down to the corner liquor store for a beer. After "coffee break" we'd come back, throw the cans in the trash bin and go back to work. Hard times, but I was glad to have a job at all. Used to commute 104 miles a day round trip on the old YAMI. Wish I had a picture of that scene :) ...J.D.
    BTW; Keeping the ignition points clean an gapped perfectly was vital to making these old machines.start. ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Always liked the look of those 650's. Will be nice to see the end result. Have fun Ron.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Noble Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Planet Earth
    #10 Wire-Wheels, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    I would of guessed it to be a bit earlier than 1978 judging on the paint and decals. If it was like the 500 version of the day there was an earlier "TX" and a later "XS". Some of the later ones.had a different tank. A little more
    squared off. But the man say his is a '78. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst I came into the world screaming & covered in blood
    Subscriber

He also tried to start it with an empty tank. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Noble Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Planet Earth
    Am I the only one who has run a tank completely dry on reserve then put in a minimal amount of fuel, swiched the reserve off and wondered why it won't run ? Makes you feel really stupid. ...J.D.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wire-Wheels
    simple answer yes and its as easy to keep a tank full as empty. I won't comment on the stupid bit as we all have our ways.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf GrrrR3Rrrr
    Subscriber

Mar 30, 2017
    Washington Tyne & Wear
    Hope it goes well for you Ron :)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Noble Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Planet Earth
    In those days I was running though almost a tank per day. 52 miles to work and 52 home. And a long stretch home with no gas stops. Sometimes.just before payday, I barely had enough to keep it's fires lit. Don't ever want to be that broke again. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Being that broke back then ain't all bad mate.
    I bet you now appreciate having a few $'s to throw around. Far more than you would without having had those hard times :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Wire_Wheels
    Been there done that. You are right don't want to relive those days. But always kept the bike full as no bike no work.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. sean quinlan

sean quinlan Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2019
    cork ireland
    thats not what we do in Ireland have a beer and go back to work

we would never go back to work L.O.L

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Noble Member

Apr 26, 2019
    Planet Earth
    Young and a bit crazy. Using everything I had to the last drop. That old factory shut down in the mid-80's. I wonder where some of those guys wound up. A couple of years later I got offered an apprenticeship and everything changed for the better. Anyhow...enjoy your project Ron. Keep us.posted. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Truckers used to use never-dull magic wadding on there chrome, and aluminum bought some last year at Ace hardware. Still works well Used it on my bikes in the late 70's. Probably not legal in CA, which is a good sign that the cleaners your purchasing still work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1