Featured First Impressions On My "new To Me" Thruxton R

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by jbell, Dec 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jbell

jbell Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Georgetown, TX, USA
    First impression, it feels top heavy. After that, in no particular order...........clutch pull is amazingly light and short, snick-snick gearbox w/neutral always where it's supposed to be, sounds lovely (stock exhaust), very good grunt (as LKJ Setright said long ago, torque is for people too lazy to shift), brick wall braking but very progressive and easily modulated, as noted in all the reviews it has a true 2x4 for a seat, a delight on the road but haven't tried any twisties yet, not much storage capacity, very nice suspension fully adjustable (so far I have dialed it to standard factory settings) not overly harsh, dash lights could be better in direct sun, comfortable riding position (I'm 6'2" about 200"). Bottom line, no buyer's remorse whatsoever. [​IMG] Oh yeah, even in "road" riding mode, the front end feels light on good acceleration.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    top heavy????? guess it depends what you came from. my last few bikes have been big bimmers and compared to my TTR it’s a toy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jbell

jbell Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2018
    Georgetown, TX, USA
    Not heavy overall, but when I first straddled it and rocked it back and forth the weight distribution seemed to be "high". Other bikes are an older K bike and much older Ducati.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I miss my Thruxton R. Bought new in 2016, but had to sell due to loss of contracts and not much work. Bought a cheap Falco, but now have a Sprint GT. Would love to have another Thruxton, but as a second fun bike. However, doubt this will happen as they are still expensive and seem to be keeping their money used. Have fun with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1