First Bike Dilemma

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Repooh, Feb 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Experienced riders your opinion please.

So I have my CBT in three weeks, then will rent a 125cc for the odd day for 10 days or so to gain experience then go for my full license Apr/May (mid 50's physically, mid 20's mentally).

I'm was planning on buying a Street Twin, however, I'm now thinking it would be more sensible to buy a bike half the price, something like a BMW F800ST 2012 (I'm a short arse so a low ish bike is best) so I can gain my wings, drop it etc and not cry and jump into the Street Twin next year when a I've become self professed expert.

Please select the following multiple choice answers:
    1. Stop being a pussy and get the Street Twin now
    2. Postpone Street Twin and gain your experience on a cheaper bike - "Bike suggestion please"
    3. Leave the wife, loose 5 stone (and your house), get onto online dating, buy an F Type R Convertible

?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #2 Sprinter, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    4. Ride 125cc for a long time, a lot, work on it yourself,by asking ( ie on here) and buying the manuals and the tools as you need them, or borrow them, from the guy with the bike down the street. Wear all the gear all the time ATGATT (even in bed).

Much safer to fall off/ drop a slow small bike. Experience is the teacher,not, the teacher he tells you what you need to work on / learn, then you go and you learn it. Then you go to the pub and talk about it so you can refine it for next time you ride. Then you ride and ride your correctly maintained bike, and your hydrated, well rested, relaxed , self, with your caring, considerate, mature, respectfull, mates, a long way and back again alot.
    Then you consider getting a bigger bike (Triumph)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Do numbers 1&3 :cool:
    In fact you’ve given me an idea :p
    Cheers mate :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Answer 1. Stop being a pussy- go for a new 2018 speed triple.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Tempted to say 3 :)
    I will say forget the 125 altogether but buy a cheaper bike ( just not a B*M :) )
    We don’t need another Littleade on the forum ;)
    If it’s classic style bikes you are into get one of those but secondhand, a bike will only go as fast as you make it go.
    So a bit more info as to what style of bikes you are into, what sort of riding you plan on doing etc will be helpful for us to give you decent advice.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    go and test ride some and see what you're comfortable with, if you want to get a bike you dont mind dropping then maybe a mid range jap, they can't be too expensive

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I rode a 125cc for a year to gain experience before getting a Bonneville - worth it in my opinion. I'd rather have the "bum clenching moments of inexperience" (and you will have many) on a little, cheap 125 than on a new Street Twin! :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

You stay where you are...whos going to put in your contacts

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    #9 GaryM, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Thankfully ;) go back to your sauerkraut and brockwurst now Von Smallhosen :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Do the Street Twin. I just purchased a new 2018. I just love it and its a kick to ride. Also if you want to keep the $$ down look at a good used Twin. It first came out in 2016 and models 2017 and 2018 are basically the same except for color.

IMG_0713.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I'd go No 2 and buy a 2nd hand 865cc Bonny.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    Almost guaranteed that you'll drop your bike in your first year. Probably in a car park. Probably in front of a crowd of people. (Don't laugh, I once dropped a GS outside of a pub with a beer garden chock full of people watching my missus catch her foot on the seat as she got off the back, very embarrassing!). Get a year under your belt on something you don't mind scratching.

Take things easy, walk before you try running, when a bike bites you it can be fatal! Get some extra training, it's not for everybody and standards vary a lot from group to group but the IAM will teach you to stay alive, if it's a half decent group they'll make you faster and safer and you'll meet a load of other bikers, worth consideration and most groups will run days when you can just rock up and go out with an observer to see if it's for you, if nothing else you might get some tips on your ride. Same with Rospa.

Gain some experience on an older bike, you'll be astounded what you'll learn in a year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thank you folks, all good opinions, thinking a used Street Triple could be the way to go, need to pass and ride a few, still recon option 3 has some legs o_O which I'll loose if the current Mrs Repooh finds out

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    One other thing that I personally like about the Street Twin is that it has cast wheels and tubeless tires. I carry a flat tire kit with me at all times so I can fix the flat myself roadside and then get home. Takes about 15 minutes to do the roadside flat repair. I do like the traditional look of spoked wheels, but I don't want to be stranded with a flat with a tube type tire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Totally agree with Dozers D.

There’s plenty of cheapish bikes around that would fit your needs and who knows you may not like bikes after a few months :eek::eek:.
    After riding for 51 years I can’t believe I’ve just typed that:scream:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    A ER6 might be better more modern and still cheap

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

And a beautiful bike

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Some great advice from other members. Good luck with your search.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    If you are committed to owning Triumph then in your place I'd probably go for a pre-owned Street Twin. If you're worried about dropping it you could look on Ebay for one that's been a pre-dropped 'cosmetic' write-off with repairs completed (Cat D or newly designated Cat N). The write-off cuts resale value by up to 33% so bargains can be had. Just check the bike has a full damage and repair report.

The Street Twin is a cracking good 'beginner's' bike. A sensible alternative, already suggested, is an older 865i Bonnie. Both have low seat heights and so even us short-ar$es can get feet flat to the floor to keep 'em steady.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Some insurance companies can be a bit anal about insuring vehicles that have been on the above register and seeing as Repooh is a new rider I can envisage his insurance quotes being heavily loaded.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1