Finally Pulled The Trigger On An Exhaust

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by jyaeger, Sep 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jyaeger

jyaeger Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    After much deliberation with myself and trying to figure out which piece to get I was scouring fleabay and managed to stumble upon a dealer selling an open box, never installed pair of arrow twins in the US for $500 USD. It was too good to pass up. I've never heard any of you complain about the high mount arrows so I know I couldn't go wrong. Now for the hard part waiting for them on my doorstep...

• Like Like x 3
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Nice choice :) something to help you sleep until they arrive
    upload_2017-9-28_8-39-35.png

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    sounds a good price as long as shipping don't cost too much,watch you don't get screwed for import charged i got charged heavily for n.o.s klr 650 rear shock by post office.

4. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    Luckily I live in the US and the shop is in the US so no import charges. I did pay a solid $45 for shipping which sucks but at $545 still less than half the cost of a brand new one from Triumph or any equivalent exhaust.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    It finally showed up! And like the excited child I am I immediately grabbed my tools a made a line for my bike. What tools did you guys use to pull the baffles? And do you do anything special to keep them shiny and nice looking?

IMG_20171006_140307.jpg

IMG_20171006_150452.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  6. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    #6 chuk, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    No experience myself but did see YouTube videos of baffle removal,in one I seen a spring hook getting used like the type that gets used for exhaust springs,now I remember you are in the states you may find you have the arrows with non removable baffles somebody with more knowledge would maybe have more accurate info but I would assume there would be a grubscrew or similar if baffles are removable.

7. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    They are the removable type. The US has way more lax rules on exhausts haha. The baffles are held in by a screw that is tack welded in and don't own a dremel type tool to grind it away so I was looking for alternatives.

8. jonesy

jonesy Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    worcestershire
    Just unbolt them the tack weld ain't that strong. Then tap them out with a broom handle. That's how I did mine

9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yep, the pre Euro4 bikes/exhaust were just tack welded screws in the UK too, Dremel'd mine but as Jonesy says the weld is tiny so probably would break if you lent on the torx wrench a bit. The baffles are best knocked out with the cans removed from bike and broom handled from the engine end. Some guys have tried fishing the baffles out in situ with a bent wire coat hanger hooked in one of the baffle holes - but not always been successful.

10. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    Thats what I ended up doing. I had to get torx keys because there wasn't enough space to squeeze the one I have in. I tried the coathanger and after an extended period of swearing I took them off and a firm punch from the back with a broom they popped out. I love the noise it makes without the baffles makes me grin every time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    You might find this helpful if your fitting aftermarket exhausts.