Featured America Finally Got One And Tyre Questions.

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by harryweld, Mar 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. harryweld

harryweld Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2020
    whitehaven
    I finally took the plunge and bought an America, my first cruiser in a riding career that spans over 45 years. For the last 20 years I’ve had various Italian and German Sports, naked and adventure bikes with most recent ones having the full array of rider aides, riding modes, active suspension, quick shift etc. So what did I think?

Well this is like riding something from a different century, which is not necessary a bad thing. First impression was where are the foot rests, put my feet on the engine cases on more than one occasion. Out on the open A roads I really enjoyed the experience, it’s surprising how much more you notice when you are riding 10 to 20 MPH slower than I normally ride and no real desire to overtake everything in front. Riding position is perfect and the seat very comfortable, something which can’t be said about the suspension more of which later.

In town stops and starts are much easy than my GSA when you need a 55 inch inside leg to get your feet flat on the ground. 1 issue I had was trying to get use to the slow steering at junctions and mini roundabout something which will come with time.

The real problem came on the pot hole riddled cart tracks that Cumbria Council try to pass of as roads in the Lake District. The bike was definitely not at home here pot holes, broken uneven road surfaces, blind bends with tightening radiuses and damp patches appearing half way round, and steep wet descents all showed up various weaknesses in the bike and my own capability’s. The rear suspension was found lacking a few times, but bearing in mind the state of the roads and the old school design of the suspension that’s only to be expected. The main issue I had was the tyres and my total lack of confidence when on wet patches. I first I thought it was just me not use to the slow steering, but on a very steep descent the front felt very dodgy and I ended up using the rear brake and just tickling the front. I’m only glad it has a rear brake that works, some of the Italian sports bikes I’ve had I’m sure they are only there for decoration.

All in all it was a mixture of a very enjoyable pleasant surprise and a very worrying experience. Perhaps its down to me and my lack of experience with this style of bike, hopefully thinks will improve with use and I’m looking forward to leaning.

One question I have is about tyres, I’ve had a quick scan through posts and I don’t seem to be the only ones who doesn’t like the Meltzer’s and a lot of recommendations for the Avon Cobra’s but most of these posts were a few years old. Are these the same as Cobra Chromes, or are the Chromes a new introduction? Anyone have any experience with Pirelli Night Dragon?

20210301_125525 1.jpg

Document Name+1_5.JPG

Sharpened version.jpg

Sharpened version1.jpg

Sharpened version2.jpg

Sharpened version3.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Great write up and photos.

Good luck with the tyres - I liked the original Metz tyres on my Tiger (can’t recall the model fitted), tried Pirelli and now have Michelin Road 5 Trails. Totally irrelevant to you as our bikes are very different. :joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have had my America for a number of years now. I find the factory
    Metzler' s adequate. These bikes are not for sport riding. I still can "get down" with it on a back road as long as the pavement is smooth. Yes the rear suspension travel is a bit short. The only thing I upgraded on mine was the front brake. As cruisers go, I would chose this over a Sportster anytime. Love my America ! ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Harryweld
    Welcome to the family. Terrific looking steed. Love the colours.
    Joe.

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Like those colours, not sure I've seen one like that before.
    Metzeler tyres are not generally well liked, especially in the wet. I had them on my 2012 Bonneville and changed them for Avon Road Riders. I now have them on my Tiger 900 and can't say I'm that impressed. They seem fine most of the time but on a couple of occasions I've felt the bike be a bit skittish on tight bends.
    Suspension wise, the rear shocks on the Bonneville's are not brilliant and I would look at improving the handling and comfort with some Hagons or similar. :cool:

6. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    The big problem with Metzler's is with the 888 series. A large batch was incorrectly manufactured in Brazil.
    When fitted to my ( then) America LT...which I think yours also is....these tyres caused a bizarre thrumming vibration at certain speeds...as if the chain had a tight spot. I had my bike in pieces to find the source of the vibrations . When I threw the tyres away all was cured.
    Other than that, fit what you like.
    Oh and the suspension on these bikes is cheap and works accordingly.

7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Harry and welcome to the forum :cool: good looking ride, enjoy

8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I had a 2010 America a few years ago in blue and white. Beautiful bike. Comfy as you could wish for but absolutely shit on wet or pot holed roads. Mine had some sort of Continental tyres. One of the hardest parts was getting it round a hairpin bend. On wet roads the back end used to snake all over the place, especially on white lines. At that time, I think people used to advise fitting Avon Cobra's and Hagon shocks. I wish I had done that with mine but I px'd it for a Street Triple.

9. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Looks rather a nice colour combination.
    Original fitting Metzler's were,I think, 880's...they were fine.

10. harryweld

harryweld Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2020
    whitehaven
    It's possibly down to me, I've had quite a few years of being pampered by technology, quick shift, traction control, ABS, active suspension. I guess I'll just have to get used to relying on my own ability's again. I'll wait until the weather warms up and give it a few more runs, but I think the tyres will be heading for the bin.

11. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    No, really it's not...the suspension is cheap and nasty...progressives at the front and even a set of Hagons on the rear will make you feel much happier.

12. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    No, really it's not...the suspension is cheap and nasty...progressives at the front and even a set of Hagons on the rear will make you feel much happier.

13. SUPERGRANDAD

SUPERGRANDAD Noble Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    You just need to buy my Gipro gear indicator to make it a better bike £65inc post enjoy the America. I have had 2. Decided to have a change and bought a new T120. Loving the 1200cc engine. Ride safe. Ken