Featured Rocket Finally, After Almost 10 Months, I Got My Tfc Mod Done ...

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by David Downes, Oct 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    From about 5 minutes after collecting my Rocket 3 TFC, I had decided that the rear spray guard in scratchy grey plastic needed to go, and be replaced with carbon fibre to match the parts on the mid and front of the bike. We're talking about the bit:
    Rocket_Hero_06_GRD_RT-1920x1080.png

After doing plenty of investigation, looking at hydro-dipping (which wouldn't have looked right, due to it not having the 3D effect of real carbon), and even getting a quote for the part to be moulded and created from scratch in carbon fibre, I managed to find a compromise solution.

Here is the result: IMG_1103.jpeg
    And here it is on the bike:
    IMG_1104.jpeg

As you can see, it's got that 3D effect where the light catches the CF grain differently, but rather than the £2000-5000 I got quoted to get it fabricated in CF, this was about the same money as having it hydro-dipped, at around £150.

The process is to actually graft a thin layer of real carbon fibre onto the spray guard, then apply several layers of protection and gloss to it. Apparently it was a little tricky around the bolt holes, and you can even see that the process doesn't produce a perfect result there, but since that's entirely blocked by the licence plate itself, I'm super happy with the result!

Dave

• Like Like x 13
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    nice effect personally not a big fan of the number plate coming of the swingarm. seen a new rocket 3 down at west bay a few weeks ago and he had a conventional tail tidy under the back light looked awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Great job done, David! I like it a lot. I would have kept the rear guard on my Fat Bob if it looked so cool.
    (I opted for a side mounted number plate though).

2000-5000 £ :scream: You found the best solution then. Congrats.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Top job, it's amazing what you find when you do your homework saved a lot of money on that job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1