Fast Indicators.

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Dave C, Dec 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Hi all, I've taken delivery of my first Triumph, a 2015 Speed Triple, just found the genuine Triumph LED indicators are flashing too fast, would a suitable relay solve the problem?

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Yes, you need the appropriate relay for the led indicators due to them having less resistance than bulbs.
    Is the bike white by any chance. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Thanks Yorkshireman, yes, she is indeed white, :)

4. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Of course, I’ve just realised I replied to your post re the gel seat and there’s a pic of the red hugger on there. Doh :eek:

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi David, have you got LED indicators all round or just at one end? It makes a difference as to which flasher relay you get.

6. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Hi thebiglad, I'm pretty sure they're front and rear, the back one's have short stalks due to the twin Arrows.

7. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Do you know the best place to buy a relay?

8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It's a very common item nowadays, particularly if the bike has LED's all round.

Have a look here :

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/

Type this into the search box "LED indicator relay"

9. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    That's great thebiglad, thanks for that.

10. Toddy

Toddy Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Near Gatwick, in Surrey.
    Before you go and buy anything, check with your Triumph dealer first. My new Street Scrambler was doing the same and there's a selection of settings in the bike programming to suit various indicator types. It's just a matter of selecting a different setting. I'll try dredging through my e-mails to the dealer to see if I can find the settings sequence.

Cheers, Steve

11. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Thanks for that Steve, much appreciated, I did contact the guy I bought it from who said his dealer tried a couple of times with no luck to sort it, it has LEDs on the front and rear but when he had a tail tidy fitted the rears wouldn't fit between the exhausts, so, they sourced some stubby, non LED's and that's when the problem arose, biglad on here gave a link to a replacement relay to try which I've ordered but its not arrived yet, will keep you posted.

Regards,
    Dave.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  13. Toddy

Toddy Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Near Gatwick, in Surrey.
    Hi Dave

As you have half and half LED's fitted, this might not help. However, as full LED is setting 4, it implies there are settings 1 though 3 as well, so it might be worth fannying about a bit with the settings whilst you wait for the relay.

Here's the e-mail from my dealer, just in case it helps:-

"The Scrambler clocks have a function to change the flash rate depending on which indicators are fitted. If you hold down the ‘i’ button on the handlebars and turn the ignition to on (no need to start the bike), this takes you into the indicator menu. Press the i button again until type 4 appears. Once type 4 has been selected try the indicators and the flash rate should be correct."

Cheers, Steve

14. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Thanks for that Steve, much appreciated, I did contact the guy I bought it from who said his dealer tried a couple of times with no luck to sort it, it has LEDs on the front and rear but when he had a tail tidy fitted the rears wouldn't fit between the exhausts, so, they sourced some stubby, non LED's and that's when the problem arose, biglad on here gave a link to a replacement relay to try which I've ordered but its not arrived yet, will keep you posted.

Regards,
    Dave.
    Thanks for that Steve, I will have a tinker and see what happen.

Thanks again,
    Dave.

15. Murmints

Murmints New Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Scotland
    HI all....I am new to this forum and I am also looking for advice on my 2015 speed triple, I have purchased the Oxford nightrider LED indicators (4 for all round) however I just cannot get them to work.....any advice would be more than welcome. I do not have the said 'I' button that is mentioned previously (unless I am a total numpty and it means something simple).

Thanks

Murray

16. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    What’s the problem with the indicators Murmints, flashing too fast or not working at all. Bit more info please like were the original indicators ok.

17. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    leds = you have to respect + and -. If reversed, not working.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Murmints

Murmints New Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Scotland
    The original ones work fine, when the Oxford Nightrider ones are connected they flash to quickly. To continue the issues.......I have tried two different relays from Amazon for LED indicators (three pin as per triumph) one was the adjustable type, however both of them will not operate the indicators at all, there is no "clicking" noise coming from the relay when operating the indicators. There has been a kinda solution, when connecting both the rear indicators to the oxford supplied resistance balance block (at least that is what I think it is) they all seem to work flashing at the correct speed??? I was looking for the correct relay to avoid having to try and squeeze the resister block under the tail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

19. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    LED relays have 2 different + - layout. Triumph does not use the most common type (JL02).
    The compatible pin layout is CF13 GL02.
    If you want to try with one of the relays you currently have, just reverse + and - with jumpers.

20. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    If using relays doesn’t help, many companies offering leds also offer inline resistor units that fool the relay into working properly. Look at the brand indicators you have and see if they have them. Right off hand I recall Rizoma offers them.