Fake Britain - Clothing

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by gazzatheyid, Mar 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Hi guys,

Just caught some of Fake Britain on BBC1 and they had a spot about fake leathers. Worrying as I'm sure the bike will be coming out the garage very soon (if not already) for many people.

From the article seems more likely to be ebay and none mainstream web stores. The fakes were reasonable imitations but is was the safety aspect that was most compromised. The material they tested was worn through in nearly half the time in a simulated accident.

I purchase most of my stuff from sportsbike shop but my first summer jacket did come from ebay. Think I might replace it anyway!

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I believe this story goes back a good few years and the bloke responsible ended up in jail IIRC. As I remember the company was based on Tyneside - possibly, but not definitely, Jarrow.
    There may be others still up to the same tricks however so be warned. They were very (too?) cheap which really should have set off alarm bells.

3. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    Take care at classic bike shows too! fake goods are appearing there. After looking round Stafford show last year some things didn't add up & I wouldn't buy clothing or helmets from any show unless it was a well known company/dealer. Saving £50 quid for it to cost you when it counts will hurt more !!!!

I'm sure you have all heard about the guy who bought a helmet off ebay only for it to break when he had a accident. He`s no longer with us & left a wife n kids!

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Ebay is a good place to find decent second hand gear - my Richa leather trousers were almost brand new for £15.00. However, you only have to see brand new motorcycle leather jackets advertised for £59.99 to know that something is not right!

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    You have got to be careful buying on e-bay, but if you pay via PayPal you are well covered for 30 days should you not be satisfied with the goods.
    I didn't hesitate sending back a pair of "unworn, as new" boots.
    I also sold a perfectly genuine set of Belstaff leathers, so there is good stuff available, just proceed with caution.

6. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Gutted I missed the Belstaff! Yer ebay is rife with fakes of every description.

Fake motorbikes will be next or do they just get branded BMW :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. OnlySon

OnlySon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Scotland. UK
    I bought a kevlar hoodie off Ebay but from the genuine shop (if that makes sense) and the quality was so bad I thought I had bought a fake. I'm still convinced, in spite of contacting the company direct I have a duffer. Sometimes the counterfeit goods are so convincing they pass as genuine. Or in my case the genuine article was so shit I thought it was fake.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    A lot of the stuff is made by the same companies, branded differently and imported, it's nearly impossible to tell with certain items, particularly clothing, shoes, bags etc.
    Sign of the times I'm afraid!

9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My sister bought me back from Japan a very nice polo shirt with the Ralph Lauren symbol emblazoned on the front.
    She said straight up it was a fake off the market but over 10 years later and now used as my old clothes suit when working on my bike, it washes out totally clean, not a loose thread and holds its shape, colour has faded a little.
    Far better than other branded clothes i have had that have faded, lost their shape or just deteriorated in a couple of years.
    I think she paid £3 for it.