Thruxton Fairing Instrument Mount

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Kiwidave4, Jul 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    When I bought the Thruxton in 2017 I immediately noticed the potential problem that Triumph had created with the fairing kit - namely the ill considered wiring routing to ignition switch and instruments. I sorted the ignition switch by taking the harness out of the plastic guide;- which Triumph have now decided to do too!

The instruments posed more of a problem. Initially I messed around with the routing of clutch cable and brake hose as both fouled the instrument harness. Then I added a couple of standoffs to the instrument mount to lower the binnacle. Neither was really a fix, just like Triumphs belated recall solution.

So with my warranty expiring last month I decided it was time for action. I had sketched up a solution some time ago and made some patterns but at the time could not find any suitable metal at my price - free! So eventually I just had to open my wallet and buy a bit of suitable aluminium. The result is a bracket that picks up the lower fairing main mounting bolt. This meets my basic modification criteria that mods must be easily reversible. An added bonus is for me is that the instruments are now also easier to read.
    20190608_121338.jpg 20190607_142800.jpg
    20190607_142800.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Good job done, I looked at mine after seeing this and I don’t seem to have quite the same cable issues that you have.
    Did yours have the little offset clock mount ?

3. Kiwidave4

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand

Hi Glyn, if you mean the lowering block then yes it did - necessary with the frame. The cable/hose fouling was possibly a combination of the fact that I seem to have a Friday afternoon build, plus the dealer who fitted the fairing did not have much of a clue and apparently could not follow the instructions.

The real problem is the short run of harness to the instruments which is going to fail sooner or later as it puts a lot of stress on a very small part of the sub-harness at its junction with the main harness. Triumphs recall has not really addressed this, it has just weighted the fail chances towards 'later'.

The Thruxton is actually the first faired bike I have owned that does not have the instruments mounted to the fairing, which Triumph could have done at no extra cost by welding a couple of lugs to the fairing frame.

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Did you take your bike in to have the fairing conduits recall done? If it's one of he earlier models the lock set would also be replaced.

5. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I’ve had the conduits done

6. Kiwidave4

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    No I have not bothered. As mentioned above I did the Triumph "recall mod" on the ignition harness two years ago - simply removed the harness from the plastic shroud.

There is no point in me fitting the recall spec shroud on the left hand side as removing the instruments from the top yoke eliminates all relative movement between instruments and frame and therefore eliminates the risk of the wires breaking.