Failure To Start In 2015 Tiger Xcx

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Craig Olsen, Oct 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Craig Olsen

Craig Olsen New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    I am having issues with my 2015 Tiger 800XCx. I have ~24K miles on it, and it is 6 months out of warranty. For the past two years it has started flawlessly. After returning from a 2,200 mile trip and sitting in the garage for 10 days, the starter cranks the engine over without it ever firing. There is no odor of gas from the exhaust indicative of flooding and no error codes when interrogated with DealerTool. I did the 24K service, adjusted the valve clearances to spec, documented correct fuel line pressure delivered to the fuel rail and spark at each of the spark plugs. I placed a teaspoon of gas in each inlet manifold and the bike would start, rev, and run momentarily until the gas was used up. At this point the DealerTool showed error codes P0351, P0352 & P0353 indicating malfunction of the primary/secondary ignition coil circuit. Upon inspecting the fuel injectors I found no problem.

After reassembling the bike and clearing the codes, it starts and runs fine, and there are no new codes. I don't think I found or did anything to address the root problem. My suspicion is that it may be a faulty engine management system (EMS) relay. It sits closest to the fuse panels under the rider's seat. My guess is that revving the engine supplied enough voltage to the EMS relay to activate the fuel injectors. I do not know how to adequately test these relays, or if this is the actual problem.

Anyone else have any suggestions or insights to our problems?

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Can you hear the fuel pump priming when the ignition is switched on?
    It appears that it is the norm on fuel injected Triumphs - certainly was on my '02 Daytona 955i when I had it - and could be the cause of your problem, especially as there is no smell of unburnt fuel.
    Don't know if the pump is on a fused circuit or not, but it may be worth checking the fuses.
    Just thinking out loud, really!

3. Craig Olsen

Craig Olsen New Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Boise, Idaho, USA
    All fuses are intact, and the fuel pump and ride by wire motors come on when the ignition key is turned to the on position.

4. ThruxM

ThruxM Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Avon
    Perhaps the immobiliser is playing up. I know KTMs can allow the engine to crank, fire up briefly then cut out if the immobiliser is faulty.