Eyewear For Open Face Helmet

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Patriot, Jun 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Patriot

Patriot New Member

May 15, 2022
    Wisconsin
    Hello Ladies and Gents,
    I’m a bit frustrated, and looking for some help with finding windproof eyewear for an open face helmet.

My Schuberth modular works great, but my Shoei RJ Platinum R open face needs a windproof option.
    The biggest problem is that I wear prescription glasses.
    I have mirrored “fit over” goggles that are maybe more appropriate for a motocross helmet, not ideal.

Other goggles that I’ve ventured into either don’t actually fit over my glasses, OR don’t accommodate the space between my sweet face and the edge of the helmet.
    I’d be interested in regular prescription sunglasses, but typically the temple arms don’t fit comfortably under a helmet.

Any other visually challenged riders have a solution that you’re happy with?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    I use bi-focal safety specs. Cheap and impact resistant (though not full ballistic). I always carry a dark pair and a yellow pair for night riding.

3. Patriot

Patriot New Member

May 15, 2022
    Wisconsin
    Where does one find bi-focal safety specs?

4. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Amazon :cool:

5. Patriot

Patriot New Member

May 15, 2022
    Wisconsin
    This thickness is the problem for goggles.
    Many safety goggles aren’t designed to stretch over this.
    Yes, I can wear my glasses in most helmets, but safety glasses would mean that there would be actually 2 arms stuffed into the space ‘tween my face and the helmet padding.
    I’d happily pay the price for prescription windproof glasses…just can’t find any that will work!
    Pete

BFA6DE92-6443-4FA7-ACB5-64A87F09681E.jpeg

153A55D3-D54A-4CF5-891B-95F931E02122.jpeg

6. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Had you thought of approaching the problem from a different direction?

I found that multifocal contact lenses were an absolute game changer. If you do try them Total 1 are the ones to go for as you won’t find any more comfortable.

I am also currently trialing toric single vision lenses which I may also be using.

All daily use so no faffing about with sterilising etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Patriot

Patriot New Member

May 15, 2022
    Wisconsin
    im not able to use contact lenses.
    Maybe Lasik surgery?

8. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I did wonder if that might be the case. Is there any reason why you need to go with an open face helmet?

9. Patriot

Patriot New Member

May 15, 2022
    Wisconsin
    i have a Schuberth modular that I like very much.
    Seems that I also just like the whole open face helmet idea, especially in the heat.

I’ve got a windshield with a deflector attached to the Speedmaster and that does a pretty good job on the wind over say, 35 or so MPH. Even with all that, the wind often can buffet my sun shield and partially open visor way too much to see effectively.

10. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I guess we don’t experience the extremes of temperature that you do in your part of the world. Personally I wouldn’t dream of riding without my RX7 and full leathers.

I hope you find a solution that suits your needs. Please let us know if you do.

11. Patriot

Patriot New Member

May 15, 2022
    Wisconsin
    I don’t ride a crotch rocket, but I am stupid, so I’m an ATGATT kinda guy.
    No shorts and flip flops for this rider.
    2500 miles when it’s 95 degrees F and 80 percent humidity every day gets old really fast.
    When I’m riding a longer distance I wear an Aerostich Darien and a Schuberth C3 pro. If I’m riding just for the day, it’s Kevlar jeans and a mesh jacket. Often with an open face helmet.
    I just can’t get the glasses matched with that open face Shoei!
    (You folks across the pond should check out the Aerostich riding gear. Handmade in Duluth, Minnesota.)
    On my now exiled BMW:

E072F536-5A73-4E12-ADEC-8023DD829D8B.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    They are quite slim, as long as you route them effectively I have never had a problem. But everyone has their preference.

61kwoh9ExaL._AC_SX679_.jpg

13. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    Personally I would go down the lens replacement route rather than laser surgery as the former solves the problem completely for both your near and far vision while the latter just effectively corrects your vision but your eyes can still deteriorate after (which happened to someone I knew at work. When he first had it done it was the best thing since sliced bread, but within a few years his eyes had deteriorated and he coukdn't read the departures board at the airport). You still have the problem of your existing lenses being harder so you might still have to wear glasses for reading and also having laser treatment thins the cornea which means your optician can no longer check for glaucoma using the standard puff of air test.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    I wear an open face....love it...its very basic....I wear glasses.....I always get the type with large dia lens....50mm x 40mm bi focal....they cover my eyes well and keep the wind of my eye and also stop bugs.

When I tried a test ride with goggles the vision was terrible....marrow field.

What is it your want out of goggles ect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Patriot

Patriot New Member

May 15, 2022
    Wisconsin
    i don’t necessarily want bugs stuck to my prescription glasses and The wind buffeting can happen with my daily glasses as well.

16. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    I see.....dont bother me....just clean them if ness when I stop.

I find goggles give a sort of blinkered tunnel vision.

17. almegro

almegro New Member

Nov 18, 2017
    hants
    Hello,
    I use kroops triple slot horse riders googles, they have a thin strap which goes under my open face helmet, don't know how well they work with glasses through.

18. IowaRat

IowaRat New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Iowa
    I ordered a pair of eye glasses from this company
    https://www.bikerseyewear.com/rx-sunglasses_c_274.html

I got tired of trying to force my regular eye glasses onto my ears whether I was wearing a full face or open face helmet. The bows don’t hook behind the ears like normal glasses. The frames are high impact plastic. Ordering several options brings the price up quickly but makes riding with these tired eyes more enjoyable.