Extremely Tight Oil Filter And Drain Plug On The Triumph Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Rajat, Sep 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rajat

Rajat New Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Mumbai, India
    Thought it might help others. Was doing my first annual oil change for my 2019 Speed Twin and damn the drain plug and filter were cemented up. Tried for 30 minutes but they were stiff af. Tried everything, shock the bolt and all but it didn't move.

Things that helped me.
    For the drain plug:
    The engine oil was hot(not warm) as I had just came from a ride and I believe it might have expanded the metal plug making it hard to remove (though people advise the opposite to heat it to remove, but just my experience). I cooled it immediately by keeping it dripped in water for 5 minutes and voila, just one push and the drain plug miraculously opened. It was so tight that the aluminium washer was indented with the bolt head. None the less, I made that work and reused it.
    So if nothing works, try this.

For the oil filter:
    Just when I was happy the drain plug opened finally, the filter was also cemented. The rubber band type wrench did not work, nor did the 3 legged one since the space between the filter and the surrounding walls is less to let the wrench slip in. Luckily my nearest mechanic had a cup-style socket wrench but it was a tad bit small. Hammered it(just light taps) a few times to help it grip the filter and finally got it off.

I have no idea why do the factory people make life hard for the self-service owners by over-tightening.