Extended Warranty.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Cupoftea, Jan 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    #1 Cupoftea, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Juzt got an email from triumph, extended warranty for 1 year £250, 2 year £400. Do they k ow something we don't, like issues with bikes so get you to pay for them upfront?
    You can only get the warranty if your bike is upto 13 months old. Seems a bit late for most, they wouldn't even give an extention due to covid, tight arse lot. Suzuki did it for 3 months.
    Shame about the loyalty thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Even Royal Enfield were giving an extended warranty last year due to Covid:eek:

3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Is this a "recommendation of warranty provider" and not actually triumph themselves?
    Sure looked like triumph but wasn’t?
    I had a letter also (looked like from Triumph themselves) and after putting this on the forum it was roundly considered not worth it as the the t&c's were laughable and others had done it and realised it was actually toss when you looked at it.
    Avoid!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I still have outstanding warranty work to be sorted out. But they're in Kent, im in the new forest.

5. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I once bought a used Harley and took a 2 year aftermarket warranty.
    When I got home and read the small print cover was excluded in the first 6 months of ownership plus 3 months either side of mot date.
    Plus it had to be completely broken down and immobile to make a claim plus you had to ring their own office when you broke down( only open 9-5 Monday to Friday) before you called anyone else..e.g. recovery company.
    It wasn't worth the paper it was written on.
    Oh and when I got the bike( Heritage Softail) home on my 200 mile collection run I found the gearbox was completely dry...not a drop of oil)
    And the well known HD franchise dealer simply refused to return calls or e mails.
    Oddly enough I no longer ride Harleys....nor buy warranties.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    I had never heard of extended warranties until I started researching owning a BMW years ago (GS or K13R)

Seems everybody does them now. Nice money spinner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I wouldn't own a new gs without one.

8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Not specific to Triumph but any goods bought

When I hear 'Extended Warranty', I interpret that to be "Our item/machine you are buying may not be as reliable as it should be, if you want to guarantee it to carry on working after the first year, you need to pay us money up front to fix it, should it not break down...tough we still have your money.

If I was spending premium £ or $ on a new bike, I would want a warranty for the expected life of the item/machine subject to approved maintenance and servicing by an agent of the seller. Unrealistic I know, but I would expect the manufacturer to have more confidence in their product

Then there is the extended warranty when you buy the item
    Say I buy a kettle, it comes with a 1 year manufacturer warranty by law, but the shop try to sell the three year warranty, this is actually only applicable for two years as there is already a year with the item. The extended warranty can't be applied after the first year is up...total rip off

9. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Entirely agree.

10. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    When bikes were easy to work on, warranty was never thought about.
    Now there's cad cam that designs a motorcycle, it get technical at the same time.
    The only thing thats a problen i think with the Bonneville is the abs unit.
    If it goes wrong, £1000 to replace lol. But you pays your money etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brixton Steve

Brixton Steve Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Devon
    I always think that whoever is offering extended warranty is betting the item won't go wrong and cost them. That being the case I'll keep my money thanks very much.

• Agree Agree x 1