Explorer 1200 Rear Shock Failure

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Marvomart, Mar 18, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marvomart

Marvomart New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Suffolk
    Having bought my Explorer 1200 at about the same time as one of my mates, we were putting on a pretty similar mileage until a year ago. Both bikes have been treated well and have been serviced at Jack Lilley in line with the service requirements. A year or so ago, we had our bikes recalled to Hinckley as part of an R&D programme on higher mileage first 'Explorer 1200' models, when they replaced worn and corroded parts. However, despite our otherwise relatively trouble free history riding Triumphs over many years and their usual excellent customer service, I'm surprised and concerned by their response to a recent mechanical failure on my friend's bike.

As an 'adventure bike', he was surprised when the rear suspension collapsed just shy of its third birthday. Having ridden some 40,000 miles on tarmac roads, he certainly wasn’t expecting the rear suspension to fail in such a short period and it leaves me wondering if mine will suffer a similar problem a few more miles down the road.

Triumph responded in a way that suggested this was standard wear and tear. However, in a 35 year career of riding bikes I don’t ever recall having to replace a suspension unit. It seems the view of the Technical Support Department at Triumph, is that it would not be unusual for the rear suspension to fail after 40,000 tarmac miles in three years on an 'adventure bike'. If that is the case, the bike really doesn’t live up to its expectations. Or is there a fault which is as yet unreported in that the Explorer 1200 suspension unit cannot take the weight of the bike. The very fact the unit has failed after such a short time lends strong support for the contention that there is a fault and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It would be interesting to know exactly what has failed on the rear suspension? The spring? The shock absorber? The bushes?

3. Marvomart

Marvomart New Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Suffolk
    After a bit more investigation, Jack Lilley's service department have said that it appears something has failed within the shock absorber that is not connecting the dampening rod. There is no leakage and it is not wear and tear, so it appears to be a failure within the unit. Now waiting to get a further response from Triumph's technical support department.

4. Zed

Zed New Member

May 27, 2017
    Royston, UK
    Are you still a member of the Forum? What was the answer from Triumph? My '15 XC rear shock has dumped it's oil, the bike has 53k on it, road riding only.

5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I read somewhere shocks need attention after 10 to 15 thousand miles.
    I would be servicing well before 40,000. By then I would have replaced or rebuild. Normal wear and tear,...Yes.

6. Zed

Zed New Member

May 27, 2017
    Royston, UK
    It has been dealer serviced since new, therefore part of the service schedule, of it isn't who is at fault?

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Its not fault. The shock reached the end of its life and needed rebuilt before this.It is only three years, on the otherhand it is 40,000 miles

8. Zed

Zed New Member

May 27, 2017
    Royston, UK
    In that case it should have been replaced at 40k not left to fail after! 2year unlimited mileage warranty or it will fail at 40k? My shock failed at 53k 4 months out of warranty!

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I dont understand are you saying its part of a service or that it should be replaced under warranty.
    Ive never owned a new bike,
    Isnt that like saying they should replace tyres cause they are worn?

11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    These are high numbers 40,000 ,53,000 .Im looking to rebuild my shock this winter, that will be 15,000, I would also like to rebuild the swingarm. Not because I think they will fail next year,because I think I will notice the difference and have a improved ride

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The suspension will only fall under normal warranty cover and is classed as a consumable item which will suffer wear and tear.
    Theyre not that expensive to replace unless you are going for something really special.
    Plenty of forum members upgrade with only a few miles on the suspension.
    Don't let it get you down, just replace them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Murph

Murph Member

May 20, 2017
    Eastbourne
    I have a 2013 explorer, 22500 miles and rear shock gave out. After pulling the unit it was apparent the damper shaft has snapped at the base. Admit replaced it with Hagon as £1250 is expensive for a genuine!

D56CAF98-2174-474C-8FC0-5EE8E1B94B05.jpeg

704E9665-D032-4125-B675-6E2FE372DA26.jpeg

14. Stephen armstrong

Stephen armstrong New Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Down
    Got on explorer this afternoon after being laid up over the winter and noticed back end bouncy, before any juvenile comments the back end of the bike. There was absolutely no rebound damping and no oil leaking from unit, any ideas please

15. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Agreed. £1200 is a bit steep for a genuine part considering some companies can custom build one for half the price.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. stuart henderson

stuart henderson New Member

Jun 10, 2020
    glasgow
    i would love to know what you have done about this, mine is exactly the same, dont want to spend a fortune replacing shock, not sure if you can service it

17. Stimple

Stimple Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Mine went earlier this year.
    Unfortunately it isn't a serviceable part and will cost £1200 without labour included.
    You can however buy an after market shock customised to your riding style for half the price.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Murph

Murph Member

May 20, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Hagon build to order
    upload_2020-6-10_17-42-30.png

• Like Like x 2
  19. Pasan

Pasan New Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Australia
    Hey people,
    I'm having an issue with my 2013 TEx (with 30,000kms on it) where the rear suspension rebound seems to make a thud.
    At first I thought the suspension settings are bad
    I have the the rear Spring Pre-Load set to 10 and when trying to set the Rebound Damping Adjustment, I ran in to an issue.
    The user manual says to turn the adjuster screw from the fully clockwise (hardest) position but it never reach a fully clockwise position. I could keep on turning the adjuster screw. Why could that be ? Is it normal ?

"To adjust the rebound damping setting,
    rotate the slotted adjuster clockwise to
    increase, and counter-clockwise to decrease."

Note:
    • The setting is measured as the
    number of adjuster clicks
    counter-clockwise from the fully
    clockwise (hardest) position.

I'm very confused with these issues.
    Could it be bushings, bearing or the suspension ?

google photos link to the video https://photos.app.goo.gl/dmv5snstxKqt6nzz9

Thank you.

20. Pasan

Pasan New Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Australia
    Was there any weird noise on rebound like I had ?
    google photos link to the video https://photos.app.goo.gl/dmv5snstxKqt6nzz9
    Thanks