Featured Ever Wanted To Learn How To Wheelie?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dozers Dad, Sep 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Probably like most of you, my wheelies leave a lot to be desired.
    Invariably they are a ragged affair that I get away with by the skin of my teeth.

Well, now the nice people at Yamaha will teach us :)...

• Like Like x 9
  2. Octoberon

Octoberon Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I had a good look all over their site the other day. Looks like a lot of fun. They're booked up for this year, sadly, or I'd have jumped in.

It's not actually Yamaha's school, they just partnered with the guys who run the training.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well it's not big and it's not clever! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But it's fecking fun! :imp::D:p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

I don't reckon they could teach you much about wheelies Billy.
    Myself on the other hand, could learn how not to make it look like accidental/poor throttle control! :kissing:
    Plus the idea of learning on somebody else's bike definitely appeals :grinning:

TBH though, those MT09/MT07 Yams are short wheelbase, powerful, wheelie machines straight out of the crate. Perfecting a wheelie on one of those. Then trying to replicate it on a different bike you actually own. Might still end badly? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Chalfont
    I went to an independent wheelie school years ago. Used their bikes which were 1200 bandits with a metal frame off the rear to stop you flipping the bike. It was enormous fun and I was able to do some excellent wheelies, even keeping the wheel right up when changing gear. Unfortunately, it never translated to my own bikes on which I am far to wimpish and mechanically sympathetic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Only ever done one wheelie, and that was by accident :D - When I was in my early 20s, a young lad tried to race me away from a set of lights on some small two-stroke, I was on my GPZ and wheelied away from the lights crapping myself :worried:, whilst he had some catastophic failure and was enveloped in a fog of smoke :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 16
  7. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

I've had several 1200 Bandits over the years.
    They are awesome bikes & they LOVE a wheelie or 10 :grinning:
    Apart from being a bit on the lardy side by modern bike standards. With a set of wider motocross bars fitted, they are wheelie nirvana! :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Like most riders that have competed at Moto-X, where wheelies are part of your skill set needed to overcome the terrain, I learned to do them at will in a fairly safe environment, doing the same with a heavy road bike on tarmac is a bit different.
    Wheelies are about throttle control & balance, I see a lot written trying to make it sound more difficult than that, but that's it in a nutshell. If you have a fairly powerful bike then you can pick the wheel up on the power, if not you have to use the clutch, as an action, it's like flicking a pea off a plate, try & remember to cover the back brake as this will bring the front wheel down if it gets too high.

If you can't afford wheelie school find a quiet industrial estate, get a mate to video on his phone so you can view back the 'vertical' wheelie which in reality was 5 to 6 inches off the floor, as you get used to the feel you'll get better.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Octoberon

Octoberon Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Neither am I. :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. Duckadiledundee

Duckadiledundee Peasant First Class
    Subscriber

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak

I think it's big and clever...:p:p:p
    It's a shame I can't do them on purpose...:worried:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Duckadiledundee

Duckadiledundee Peasant First Class
    Subscriber

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak
    Funny enough I watched a YouTube video the other day about the illegality of doing wheelies on the road and the consequences...instant ban and have to take an extensive retest...A bit harsh I thought..
    Also halfway through it changed the subject matter to mods and declaring them to the insurance company..apparently fixing a dildo to your seat is considered a mod and if used when riding by yourself or a pillion and you have an accident your insurance won't cover you and you as the rider/owner are accountable for all costs damages and injuries sustained by yourself or a pillion passenger....The things you learn on the internet :confused:

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Chalfont
    Yep, I found them ridiculously easy to wheelie on the course, power wheelies, not off the clutch, for several seconds. At the end of the couple of hours of the course it felt like a doddle, it also helped knowing I couldn't flip the bike. I think they are particularly suited to the task.
    I used to accidentally wheelie my Ducati M1100s sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I stopped doing wheelies at all on the road as a result of those consequences Duck! :worried:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. chiari1

chiari1 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Mar 19, 2016
    wrexham , north wales
    Agree with Bad Billy , i rode Trials and Motocross for over 20 years and getting the front end up and keeping it up is a vital skill that was very helpful but as for doing it on a road bike on the road i have never seen or had the need to do it , if it goes wrong as well as being painful and dangerous it can cause ridiculous damage to the bike , kill joy i know :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Didn't stop because I was worried about flipping it mate, as soon as it became an instant ban for dangerous driving I stopped.
    It's funny though as the French police don't seem to give a shit, once wheelied past them doing an HGV check in a layby & my mates reckon I got a thumbs up from them! :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Senior Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    $150 performance award for wheelies here, same if you stand on the pegs to stretch, rearrange your bits, or go over bumpy sections.
    KS riders manual still indicates rising above the seat when you encounter bumps.

17. DCS222

DCS222 Crème de la Crème

May 22, 2017
    Cumbria
    I used to be pretty good at wheelies as a lad, not dialled it in on my bikes since the Triumph legend... the TDM should be great... but I’ve not lifted it more than a few inches, might change as I get more miles in

• Like Like x 4
  18. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    I had an MT09 and I'm sure I read in the users manual that it was illegal to take the bike out and not wheelie.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. chiari1

chiari1 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Mar 19, 2016
    wrexham , north wales
    In all my years of trials and motocross i dont think i ever replaced a front tyre , they were never in contact with the ground :D:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gyp

Gyp Active Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I did a wheelie school at Bruntingthorpe several years ago using Bandit 1200s.

Brilliant day; I could wheelie like a stunt champion. Until I got on my R80RT to come home and could hardly get the forks to extend, never mind get the front wheel to leave the ground!

• Funny Funny x 2