Featured Ever Ride Alone?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Dave Roxburgh, Mar 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Roxburgh

Dave Roxburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    Oh man, my mistake - when I registered the app in December I made it available in the UK only because of some time-zone issues - I completely forgot about that. Sorry, my bad.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Sounds like a good idea Dave, I have been the man in the ditch, out of site of the road with double compound fractures of my lower left leg, lucky not unconscious though.
    I assume it is easy to turn on and off & you just activate the app while riding though? Otherwise it would keep going off when you stop for a cuppa! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dave Roxburgh

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    Ouch, nasty.

Yeah, the app is mainly intended for the Bloodrunners who mostly ride at night - easy for them to be out of sight!

Yeah, it's easy to switch on and off with a slider switch in the app. If you stop for a cuppa you can either switch it off permanently with that switch that or just wait for the alert - if you cancel the alert the tracker continues running but won't alert again in a 2-mile radius of the spot where you cancelled it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Sounds spot on mate, don't ride on the road at the moment but if I do start again I will definitely give it a go, will keep an eye on the thread for guys giving it a go, potentially this could be a life saver, good work mate! :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's because you still use a Nokia 3310 Dave! :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Haddock

Haddock Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Netherlands
    Nought wrong with that phone, I still use it, works great. If it stops I’ll consider buying a new one.
    And, yes, I ride alone usually, and yes, I’m an old git. And yes, I often forget to take it with me.

proof 9DA49BDA-5F50-4FC4-AF46-DAC534F771B9.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I remember when phones looked like phallic symbols!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    I ride alone more often than not. I’ve made it ok (mostly) since 1980 without being tracked. Technology is fine overall, but it’s not the end all/be all. You need the ability the escape the constant interaction and tracking once in a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks
    Looks a good app Dave.
    I've downloaded and it's installed OK (Huawei Mate 10 Pro). I'll let you know when I've got some feedback for you.

As a thought for the ETA to home field (a feature for when you get time). Could it automatically look at the time to a set address using Google maps and hence populate the ETA accordingly?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    Thanks for this, Dave. I ride alone a lot of the time and have, until recently, put to the back of my mind the “what if ......“ question. However, the older I get, the more I think of this, especially as I ride to some pretty remote parts of Europe. I have installed your app on my Huawei P20 Pro and will feedback to you. Just hope I don’t have to use it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Huawei? You are never alone,

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    Yes, Huawei the social phone!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Cornelii

Cornelii Active Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK, Notts/S.Yorks
    At least someone in China will know if I'm in a ditch, even if the phone doesn't dial out

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Dave sounds a great idea. I ride alone all the time as I prefer to ride at my own pace. I have a Samsung J6 so will try and load it on the phone. I may even get out on the bike this week (fingers crossed)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I'm also a lone rider and happy to give it a test too - I think it's a great idea for those that want it. :)

I'm another Huawei user... Mate 10 (not pro)...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Windy

Windy First Class Member

Aug 16, 2019
    Shropshire
    #36 Windy, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    If you use an Apple phone you could give access to your find my phone feature. If you are late they can check where you are.

But giving it to the wife and say “just popping out for a hour” could be interesting

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dave Roxburgh

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    Thanks Dan, all feedback much appreciated!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mark Balmer

Mark Balmer Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Chepstow
    I have been riding since the 80's on many different bikes and have lived in many countries.I have crashed a handful of times. Only once at speed. I am also an I.T. consultant and have been involved, amongst other things, in developing tracking and social media scraping software that is used by various agencies around the world. While this app has handy features, at the end of the day it is a tracking tool. For me, it would just be irritating to interact with my phone everytime I stopped. If you want your movements tracked, location and SPEED, then that is your business but if you think that this data will not be available to insurance companies and law enforcement either now or in the near future then you are being naive.

Saying that, I will probably be in a ditch tomorrow, unable to turn my phone on and thinking what a plonker I am.

Just my two pennarth from old paranoid git.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #39 Wire-Wheels, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    As one of those old "boomer generation" geezers [actually I am older than that], I do not really.care if I talk to anyone when I am out on my bike. Niether do I want to to be tracked, connected, influenced, marketed too, analyzed or any other scheme our modern electronic world can dream up to turn me upside down and shake my pockets until they are empty. Bug off ! ...J.D. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1