Featured Ever Ride Alone?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Dave Roxburgh, Mar 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Roxburgh

Dave Roxburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    Ever thought what would happen if you ended up in a ditch unconscious out of sight?

Ha! Yeah, cheerful thought, huh? I was watching Emergency Helicopter Medics or something similar recently and an old fella did exactly that - he was there for four hours, I think it was, before he was found.

Wouldn't it be cool if you phone noticed and texted your exact location to summon help?

Anyway, I wrote this Android app for the Bloodrunners to automate controller messaging and stuff and I've extended it to do that - if you turn the tracker on it will monitor your location and if you're stationary for five minutes it will alert you to ask if you're OK. It'll ask again every minute for five minutes. If you don't respond it will text your exact location to the number you've set up.

Anyway, like I said, it's mainly for Bloodrunners but if anyone wanted to try it our for me that would be VERY helpful. It's very hard to test because every device (and GPS chip-set) behaves so differently - different accuracy, timings, reliability.

If you fancy giving it a go please do - it's called Bloodriders and it's on the app store at:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.serv.ridersapp

Just one ask from me - please let me know how you get on with it, GOOD OR BAD. Like I said, it's very difficult to test. I've tested it really just on one phone so I have no idea how well it will run on others.

Also, I've only tried it in the UK so it would be great to know how well it works elsewhere!

If you like it post a review and tell your mates.

If you hate it tell me about it ;-)

Cheers!
    Dave

• Like Like x 12
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    Hi Dave, I haven't got the bike out yet, but happy to test it for you once they stop gritting the roads here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    I gave a Samsung S8 by the way

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That’s an interesting app you’ve set up. You might already know some BMW’s have a similar idea with a hidden red button on the handlebars? Is this app available for apple?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Sounds like a good app, my phone has an SOS button but that does rely on you being conscious and mobile

Good luck with the app, it sounds like it is written well to avoid any false positives

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #6 Wire-Wheels, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    When I ride out alone, I am "in therapy". My way of disconnecting from a too connected world. At that point alone is a good thing. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 3
  7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #7 thebiglad, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    I live in France and I ride most of the time on my own Dave and it does cross my mind what would happen if I fell off, so I would certainly like to give this a go.

Dave

Just tried to download this onto my Android phone and it said "This app is not compatible with your device" ???????

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    St John's Ambulance service do a similar app in Australia , yours isn't available here ! On St John's app it gives the triple 000 centre your satellite location of your phone , but this all depends on service availability . And that can be very sketchy in this great Island we call OZZ !!

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I wouldn’t worry about that Dave, you’ve the best helmet and safety pants a dustbin can provide!! Heh heh heh

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You are a BAD MAN Eric !!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I can ride less than 30 minutes from my home to places.where there is no mobile service and your GPS gets lost. :D ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    99% of the time i ride by myself. I never worry about what can happen, if one did one would never leave the house.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Ok, Ducky, that begs the question....how many times have you crashed?? ;):eek: Glad you're still with us! :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yer but you don’t ‘alf like me!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dave Roxburgh

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    Excellent, thanks mappster, feedback on how it works on the S8 would be really helpful.

(BTW, you don't have to be on the bike - it will work just as well in the car ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dave Roxburgh

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    I had no idea! This feature was an extension to an existing app - just seemed like a good idea to add it in.

Ah, sorry, it's not available on Apple - I have no idea how to write for iOS, sorry!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dave Roxburgh

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    The false positives are a tricky thing to spot!! Hopefully, yeah, users should never get a false positive - fingers crossed. Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    We'll have to see about that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My local ditch is quite deep :confused:

D2D05F4B-2263-422C-A1D0-4D88B98C749C.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    This sounds like a very useful application. Must admit when I ride alone the thought on what would happen if I did crash has crossed my mind. Then I dismiss the thought and enjoy the ride..

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1