Ever had a broken shocker like this?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Tigcraft, May 14, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Went for a ride last night at came back like this image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Blimey if it ain't the chinese bike that's broke its this one now. Luckily I was only a mile from home.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #2 thebiglad, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Hi Eric what's actually happened? Is it the threads in the bottom aluminium piece that have gone? I've got what I think are the same shocks (TEC?) so I really would like to know :eek::eek:

If they are TEC's get ahold of George (TEC boss) and get a replacement.

[email protected]

The threads seem to indicate (by the rust in them) that they were never fully screwed home???

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Blimey that looks bad! I would certainly get hold of the manufacturer but If it's manufacture fault I don't think I would want another set but a full refund and go and buy another make. I am looking to get some rear shocks so would be very interested in make and outcome!

4. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Same TEC shocks here, please tell me they are NOT TEC!! EEEEK!

5. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well, it certainly was a fast and hard ride last night and they've just come apart. I've lost the bump stop and lower spring locator and yes they are TEC.
    I just overtook a car to drop into a favourite lh bend and it started pogo sticking OMG WTF S! Was my thoughts!!

6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Hey just look at the replies from this morning at 7.30 onwards, are you lot all retired or something wi nowt to do!! Heh heh

7. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    OH ecky thump. be sure to let us know what George says:eek:

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That was lucky mate - glad you are still in one piece.
    Not sure I will be buying TEC in the future.

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Eric, I've just been fiddling with my TEC shocks setting the 'sag' before my trip a I noticed a locking nut on the threaded part of the rod, underneath the rubber bump stop. This appears to be missing on yours?

What condition are the threads like inside the aluminium lower piece? Are they intact? If they are, then the problem lies elswhere.

As I say, I was just setting the pre-load and normally I use the spanner on the top collar and bish bash bosh. Today I tried gripping the spring and turning the spring, which turns the pre-load collar.Much easier to do, but has potentially a very bad side effect maybe. As I turned the spring, the bottom spring retainer turned as well. Now I've no way of knowing whether this has impact on the secure fitting of the bottom alu piece onto the rod, but it just made me think :confused::eek:

10. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yep I know where your coming from. The threads in the lower alloy part are excellent so that tells me it just wasn't tight for what ever reason. I've only ever put the extenders on and set the sag but nowt else. E

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Imagine though, if the locking nut was there? Would that leave enough threads on the rod to completely fill the alu piece threads?

12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well I'm sorry to say it ain't gonna be me. I'm not experimenting with my bike before Saturday and my trip.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yes HT, I emailed George at TEC with the pics and he never quibbled it, just said he'll send a new replacement unit.That'll do me as I'm easily pleased. I will check the tightness of everything in more detail and may overdose on locktight. Looks like it set the frighteners all round and I didn't realise that so many people are running the same shocks.

14. Recycled Rocker

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Glad it's sorted easily, still a tad concerned, was out on mine yesterday, and will be today, pity he didn't comment at all.

15. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    They've been on 9 months and about 1000-1500 miles as I ride other bikes too so not too bad.

16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Was there any comment about the amount of thread showing or is that normal?

17. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Non what so ever. I just got the new replacement one this lunch time so it was very quick BUT as always unfortunately it was too long and off the scrambler/ thruxton model but never mind. I forgot to tell him and he forgot to ask. Anyway, I disassembled the new one and built it onto mine. Guess what? The locking nut on the new one was finger tight so it's a good job I took it apart. I check my other one on the other side and that was tight. JOB FIXED!

• Like Like x 1