Ever Bought A Bike On Trust?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by DCS222, Mar 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Have you ever seen a great deal with great photos and backstory that you thought, “Fuck it!” And just bought another motorcycle???

• Like Like x 2
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yes, and cars. Loads of times.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Never. Nor would l. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Pretty well bought my Doris over the phone, the guys ad was so detailed and gave the impression it was well looked after, off eBay too:oops:!!put a deposit down over the phone saying I’d pay the rest when I saw her and I’d give the full amount if it was as described. Hired a van and drove to Preston to pick her up, it was lucky I didn’t take the train as there were all the original bits too, fell in love immediately, the bike was good as well, did the deal, loaded up and I’ve been a happy bunny ever since.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Yep, and could even qualify for the "bought while intoxicated" thread too.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Sure have.

My last 2 bikes have both been dealer internet purchases and delivery from different parts of the country. No nasty surprises with either bike. In fact the last bike, tiger 800 xrt had more triumph accessories fitted than advertised. Bonus.

I dont think it's so much of a risk these days with high definition images available.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yep done that too !!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Some of us aren’t lucky, so do ya feel lucky (in my Clint Eastwood voice) DC?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Same here purchased many bike over the phone. Only ever walked away once. Went all the way to Wales for a supposedly pristine CX500. Looked at the bike and said to the chap that surely isn't the bike. It was ready to snap in half. I said no thanks and walked away very quickly.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yes to the original answer and had mixed results good and bad

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Twice and both times from a Bike Supermarket. Each had an unmentioned fault, one dent in tank ,and the other one had a large chip in front mudguard. Oh well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I have. I bought my FXDS Harley Davidson Dyna Convertible on line, after drooling over pics. All this was on good faith. When the truck arrived at my house and my best friend got her uncrates, She looked like new! Maybe I just got lucky, or not. I would feel more comfortable dealing with a business than an individual though!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Just bought my 1993 SC28 Fireblade unseen, the seller was an other fireblades.org forum member so I'd seen all the work that had been carried out on it over the last couple of years, and got to know him pretty well. The bike was even better in the flesh than in the photos plus he threw in a ton of spares, so a happy ending!

• Like Like x 6
  14. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    I wanted a cheap second bike for messing about on, so bought a 900 Diversion from a dealer over the internet. It was well described with loads of pics, so I bought it. Dealer delivered it and it was exactly as described - had it nearly a year and no disappointments so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Heck, YES! Three in the last year ........................................... all Triumphs, of course! 2 still to be collected - when I have the space and time!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Me too !! Far too many 'blue cans' and a Discovery took my eye. Flew over to UK, the engine was a bit noisy but on the way home (still 300 kms to go !!) the pas pump seized, took the belt with it and I had to be dragged off the motorway. Fortunately had me bike on a trailer so rode home at 1am. It was bloody cold.

Kept the car for about 6 yrs and still sold it for more than we paid !!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. bobw

bobw Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Southampton,UK
    Yes Street Triple R from a dealer delivered last year and last week traded it in sight unseen on a Kawasaki Z1000SX both bikes as per photos and description.Have bought brand new cars in the past the same way.

I did buy a Suzuki 550 a few years ago off ebay as a project trouble is on arrival to collect the bike the one he was selling wasn't the one in the photos so just left without paying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yes, lots and lots !

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    I only went to view 4 of the 6 bikes I bought since June ‘18....not been disappointed.
    I don’t think a dealer would risk their reputation by falsely describing a motorcycle for sale, just not worth it.
    All my bikes were from dealers.
    Regards,
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

I'd definitely qualify for the bought while intoxicated thread, for literally anything, I bought a throwing axe from Amazon last week, feck knows why.

• Funny Funny x 2