Ethanol and your bike

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by 1965T120R, Aug 11, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 1965T120R

1965T120R New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    In a room
    Is anybody having issues with the Ethanol Fuel Blends we must use here in the States? I read reports daily of Bike Riders, Boat Owners and from Small Engine Mechanics of their horror stories of total engine rebuilds and worse, having to just scrap the engines.

What are all of your views and knowledge on this issue?

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I have heard of more issues involving plastic components in the fuel system; my lad can not use it in his Ducati 620 Multistrada as it has a plastic tank. The plastic expands to the point of a component not fitting or leaking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 1965T120R

1965T120R New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    In a room
    Right and a lot of people such as your Lad are having to not only replace their tanks but use a Ethanol Resistant Coating inside of them to ensure stability. I have read and heard some very ugly stories myself that is why I wanted to bring it to the attention of the group. The more input across the Biker/Motorcyclist scene the better.

MLH&R

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Fuck me! Major oversight by the petroleum companies! I've personally not heard about this until now - my green SIII has a plastic tank but the new one doesn't. Mind you we're usually about 10 years behind the states with stuff (which is OK for gun crime and stuff but not so good for ice-cream flavours etc) so the old one probably has a few years left in her yet.

• Like Like x 6
  5. 1965T120R

1965T120R New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    In a room
    Ya one really has to stay ahead of the curve on everything these days then my Wife gets upset when I am reading forums and other tech articles but she sure loves it when I can fix her scoot or my Rigid with ease. Ya cannot win for losing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Thanks guys for these enlightening posts! I was well aware of the ethanol problems, but had not heard about the tank bloating until now. I have never run that crap through my bikes, except when a good grade of gasoline can't be found. locally I'm lucky. There are a number of dealers who have Non-ethanol gas for sale! Thanks again.

7. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    Anyone tried an additive like Millers EPS to neutralise the ethanol?

8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    And here's the real kicker " ethanol in fuel" costs more fuel energy in production , planting, harvesting, brewing and transportation to service stations than it releases in combustion in your engine !! So it's more harmful to the environment than fully leaded high octane fuels of yester year ! So a 50+ year old V8 American fuel guzzler will be more environmentally friendly in itsi million miles of running than a fully ethanol production running car of tomorrow