Engine Turns But No/random Spark

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tanerrx, Mar 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tanerrx

Tanerrx New Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Hey All, I'm trying to get a 2001 Thunderbird running that has been sitting for a year. I'm having trouble getting the spark plugs to fire. The engine cranks but it'll only spark randomly every couple of seconds. I've tested each coil and they all are doing the same occasional random spark. I've checked all the connectors and they seem good except for some kind of grease in a few of them. Is that a standard thing on Triumphs?

Anyone had this problem before. I'm guessing the ignition pickup sensor is malfunctioning but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue before buying a new one. I tested the resistance on the sensor and got with in spec. Can't remember the exact number right now, but it was something like 585.

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    What’s the coil earths like?

3. Tanerrx

Tanerrx New Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Are you asking about from the coil where the wire connects or the other end of the wire? The connection to the coil looks fine but I don't know where the end of the wires are. They disappear into the wiring harness.

4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Anything that is ‘visibly’ bolted to earth

5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I would disconnect and clean all earths and see if that helps other then that it could be the crankshaft sensor etc depending on what type.

6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #6 Wire-Wheels, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    I agree with Tricky-Dicky. I would suspect the crank sensor. But it could be just a poor ground [earth] somewhere. I would pull the cover on the crank sensor and make sure all is clean an dry in there. Then take an ohm meter and go over the ground connections. If you find some high resistance, take it apart and clean it well.
    I find these engines [I have 2 of them] need a really hot battery and fresh spark plugs to start well. Let us know what you find out. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tanerrx

Tanerrx New Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I don't know what ground connections y'all are talking about. There is a ground from the battery to the engine but everything else connects into the wire harness as far as I can tell. Is there a ground somewhere under the cover where the crank sensor is?

8. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Pick up coil resistance should be 530 ohms +10% with an air gap of 0.6 to 0.8mm.

My ignition coil was reading 590 to 602 ohms, it had the same symptoms as yours, changed it and it's now working fine but please do your other checks as described by our forum members.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    This sounds like a deal. They are out of stock now, though. Do ya'll know anywhere else I can get one?

11. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
  12. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Tanerrx

Tanerrx New Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Well I ordered a new ignition pickup from Squaredeals. They sent me a confirmation a few days ago with a tracking number but no tracking has updated. I'm wondering if they are out like mpllineman said and haven't told me yet. Anyway, I went to remove the old one and my size 30 torx bit seemed pretty loose in the bolt and my 40 is way to big. Do y'all know if I need a specialty tool to get these bolts out?

14. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
  15. Tanerrx

Tanerrx New Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Alright. Finally got the part and the right sized Torx bit. I swapped the ignition pickup and still no spark. Is there anything in the kill switch housing that would cause the coils not to fire? I feel like the starter button is a little temperamental and I’ll occasionally get a spark right when I let off the button. Is there something that needs to be grounded through the handlebars in the kill switch housing? The previous owner swapped the handlebars. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2001 Thunderbird?

16. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I would check that the kill switch is not shorting going by the fact that the handlebars have been changed or it could just be a faulty switch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tanerrx

Tanerrx New Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Alright so I just discovered that as soon as I turn the key on the voltage on the battery drops to about 7 volts from 12. I have the headlight removed so I don't know what would be drawing so much power. It climbs back up to 10+volts as soon as I turn the key off and slowly keeps climbing. The battery is only a few months old and I haven't even been using it. When I'm working on electrical stuff I have a big 30amp battery that I use so I don't kill the battery that the bike actually uses.

So what could be causing such a huge drop in voltage?

18. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Sounds like the battery has died try charging and check amperage with a load that will give you an idea if its sparked its last.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tanerrx

Tanerrx New Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I think you might be right. I hooked up my big battery again and it didn't drop like the other one did.

So the kill switch and starter button seems to be good. I'm trying to trace the wiring back through the harness but am having a hard time. What else could it be? I don't think all three coils would crap out at the same time. I know the ECU is still a possibility but I'm trying to test everything before suggesting my guy to buy a new one.

Does anyone have a link to a wiring diagram?!

20. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its always the simple things that can throw you personally i would just borrow a known good battery and see how things behave just assuming and continuing to chase phantoms will only lead to madness.....
    I have just had a similar issue with my bike and its a custom and i wired it yet overlooked a battery problem simply because i was going by voltage alone not having an amp meter...battery replaced and all good again...but i was starting to chase all kinds of other suspected problems.;)

• Like Like x 1