Engine Shut Off

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Davvid, May 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    I have a 2010 Thunderbird 1600 and I went over a few bad bumps and the engine shut down. Then when I tied to start the lights come on but the fuel bar does not show anything and when I press the starter a stark click sound comes and nothing happens.
    So I took it to a garage and they said the batter is shot and needs a new one. So I got a new one yesterday and then it started after they charged it.
    I brought it home and now after 24 hours it happens the same thing again even with the new battery.
    Any help with any idea would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much.

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Davvid, it sounds like there’s a loose connection somewhere or maybe even a relay that’s loose in its socket. Could also be a poor connection to the starter solenoid.
    Unfortunately it’ll take a bit of searching for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    I am hoping to take it back to a garage. Hope they can find it without me needing to buy another new battery.
    What surprised me was that it started with the new battery without any issues but when kept overnight it failed. So it looks like the battery was not been charged at all while I was driving but did charge when connected to the charger when at the garage.
    If so any idea what it could be that it stopped charging? Or it showed low voltage?
    thank you

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Probably a trapped wire or it's been pulled out of something.
    Charge the battery back up.
    Ensure the ignition is turned off, should be but check.
    Connect the positive but not the negative.
    With a meter set on the Amps (current) scale check the value between the negative wire and the negative battery post. It should be zero or very close (I.e. alarm drain).
    If you don't have a meter, carefully!!! tap the negative wire against the negative battery post and observe if any sparks. If there is then this is your issue and you need to find the cause of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    OK. Managed to get it sorted out. It seems the new battery I bought has dead cells in it. So replaced the replacement battery and it seems to work. But since I went over the bumps very hard I am still going to take it to a dealership just to get it checked out. But since it is about 2 hours ride I had to plan it such a way that I take it in the morning and come back in the evening.

• Like Like x 2