Engine Replacement Street Triple 2013

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pcanozo, Feb 13, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pcanozo

Pcanozo New Member

Feb 13, 2023
    Northampton
    Hi gents
    Unfortunately yesterday going down the M1 my engine decide it was time to blowup. Very sad day becouse I did buy the bike a month ago. I've got a massive hole on the cranckshaft case. I'm going to take the engine out, and see why it did fail and what I can save for at least have some money back . But that is a story for later.

Meanwhile I'm looking to buy a new engine, but I've got a couple of questions around this, becouse small engines never been my thing.

The bike in question is a Street triple 675r 2013 ABS.

First of all I would like to know which engines will fit my bike. How can I check this ?

The engine I'm thinking to buy, the seller claims it was from a bike with 7k miles, and he claims he did all the test to ensure the engine was running fine.

Which tests do you guys would perform after fit the engine ? Or before fit the engine ? Obviously a compression test is a must I guess. But apart from that , what I should look for ?

Also if anyone is selling an engine for this bike , please feel free to send me a message !

Kind regards
    And safe rides

20230212_111202.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Arf765

Arf765 Member

Feb 3, 2023
    Berkshire, uk
    gutted for you, hope you can sort this asap…

3. ManInTheJar

ManInTheJar Member

Feb 4, 2023
    Scotland
    These engines are normally very tough and take a llot of abuse, failures like that are fairly rare. Hard to tell from the photo what has gone wrong, that's the balancer shaft poking out, the chain driven oil pump is also around that area. My guess is an oil related issue down to poor maintenance or unsuitable oil, I only used high quality fully synthetic on mine with a new OEM filter every change.

Alternators often fail so hold on to the one from your old engine until you have fitted and tested a replacement unit. The breather reed valves, especially the single one, often fail so again worth holding on to the old ones if intact and checking the new ones.

Other than that I would check general condition of a replacement engine and if possible check mileage and service history. Also check valve clearance (expensive if engine is fitted so well worth doing). It is also worth checking and servicing the cam chain tensioner as it is a pig to get out even the engine is in place IMPORTANT DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER WITH THE CAM CHAIN TENSIONER REMOVED or you will muck up the valve timing. Finally check compression and ancillaries such as the starter motor, especially items which are difficult to access once fitted in the frame.

As far as a replacement any engine with a number between 560477 and 806645 will be a straight swap. Earlier 675 and later 765 engines or some Daytona 675 engines may also fit but may require tweaking. The best source of info on fitting non standard engines will be at https://www.street-triple.co.uk/. The Triumph RAT forums may also be able to help. Finally there are a couple of 675 Triumph forums dedicated to Daytonas if you decide to go that route.