Thruxton Engine Protection

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by learningtofly, Oct 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #1 learningtofly, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    I've been struggling to identify some acceptable-looking engine protection for the 1200R but then found these... they actually look great so am intending to order through one of the UK authorised dealers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Given that I don't think black would look very nice on the alloy/unpainted engine cases, are there any other options out there before I confirm the order?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    Please let me open with no offense intended, but how do such small alloy bit actually "protect" anything? I mean if you side dump the bike I would still think those cases are getting scraped and destroyed. I did this search at first when I bought my used bike. I could never logically justify anything but maybe fork sliders or engine crash bars....and those just killed the look of the bike. So I decided my best protection was "don't drop your bike man". :worried:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Absolutely no offence taken, and it's a point well made. I guess I'm just thinking about a slow speed/stationary drop (shit happens, right?) because with a proper slide you're going to be pretty much screwed anyway.

I really don't know what to do for the best. If the engine casings were black I'd just stick the OEM protective covers on, but it just wouldn't look right with this brushed allow finish.

4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I think you have exactly the right approach in terms of expectations and potential 'uses/benefits'. Co-incidentally (perhaps) there's another active thread on the forum regarding sliders and I've just commented to the effect that they have a use and a benefit in the right circumstances.

In my view you've summed it up perfectly and you have some realistic expectations and awareness of the limitations in your expression "with a proper slide you're going to be pretty much screwed anyway" so I think you should go ahead with the purchase - they look subtle, suitable and very much in keeping with the finish on your bike.

Just don't test them, eh? ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks for that. Funnily enough I've just come off the phone with Pure Triumph and said that I just want to give it a bit more thought. They're going to set me back £175 with VAT and shipping costs, so before I commit I want to give some consideration to Thriumph's dresser bars too (although I'm not really sure how much of an impact aesthetically they'd have on what's a very beautiful bike). Or, perhaps, just leave it naked as god intended.

• Like Like x 2
  6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    • Like Like x 1
  8. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Buy 'em. I can't be the only person who didn't get the side stand down quick enough? Last week the bike went over on the drive, fortunately with me still on it. I say fortunately because my left leg stopped the bike going down hard. Amazingly the only damage was a bent bar end mirror and tiny scuff to the clutch lever, footrest and a barely noticeable mark on the end can. Without my leg acting as a cushion I'm pretty sure the engine case would have taken a hit and I'd have wished I'd fitted case protectors. The ones you've pictured look good. £175? Go for it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Yeah, I'm leaning in that direction now.

I've done the sidestand thing as well, in the most embarrassing of circumstances. The local school had just let the kids out and about a dozen unruly adolescents were walking past my drive as I dismounted my old Street Twin in order to open the side gate. Because they'd distracted me I completely forgot to put the stand down and, as the bike fell, it trapped me on the floor between it and the adjacent fence. The little b*stards just stood and laughed until a kind soul - somewhat older - came to my rescue.

I don't think I'll make that mistake again :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. 2Fast

2Fast Thrux ton-up

Feb 25, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Agree , buy ‘em. Mine fell over (still not sure how) and I can say, the bottom edge of the engine case, mirror and end can suffered :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Maybe I just need somer stabilisers :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I’ve noticed on my Thruxton 1200 that the sidestand foot doesn’t sit as far forward when deployed as many other bikes I’ve owned , when wheeling the bike around on the drive during cleaning or checking tyre pressures I recon it would be easy to roll it off the sidestand so protectors are probably a good idea, personally I don’t like the look of protectors so I’ll just try to keep doubly awake when wheeling the bike about but if you like them go for it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1