Engine Out Servicing 1996 Daytona 900

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Dodge, Jan 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Hi, 1996 Daytona 900 starting a CRK build.. I dropped the engine yesterday, and now need to form a plan on what servicing I should do to take advantage of the engine out of the frame and prior to a paint freshen up? Its got approx. 22k miles on it with a full pretty concise stamped and invoice supported service history.

So what you recommend doing? if anything???

Thanks in advance...

• Like Like x 1
  2. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #2 t552, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    All the above.
    At least as engine out new coolant will be fitted. Owners not changing it in the past can cause problems.
    If doing valves count how many ratchet paws exposed from the tensioner.12 ideal but can go to about 19.
    Poss replace the clutch push rod seal.
    We are running a t3 course next w/e at Clive Wood's workshop. (see dealers threads).
    You may find it interesting.
    Check carb pilot jets
    (Next to main jet, not pilot screws).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Thanks all, very helpful.. will checkout the t3 course info...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cafe Hinckley

Cafe Hinckley Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Its a great kit and a great journey - check out my tread as I documented the process!

Only thing I would add is to change out the crank position sensor as its a common fault and very easy/cheap to change while the engine is out.

Sprag is the other one but that's a lot more work - if you are splitting lower half of engine its worth replacing (money permitting )

Also worth hitting up t552 for some pencil coils - awesome bit of kit that will really help with the fitting of your tank and new airbox system.

enjoy !!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Hi Cafe Hinckley, thanks for the info... I've read over your build thread quite a few times, along with the couple of other CRK builds, long before I pick up a Daytona, all great resources. I wasn't expecting to do a CRK build but happened across the bike I have now by a complete fluke, it's good enough to CRK but was rough enough to put me off flipping it as it was...

I've been enjoying it too much... I'm well ahead of my schedule which was partly due to spreading the cost over a few months, so now I'm marking time a little bit, but extra cleaning and painting will time will make up for it in the long run.

I can see a few questions arising from the CRK instruction manual I wouldn't mind an opinion on, but I'll wait till I get nearer the time before asking...

Thanks again

Rog

6. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Of course - more than happy to help wherever i can - just let me know what you need.

• Like Like x 2
  7. matt botterman

matt botterman Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    While the engine is out the CRK kit doesnt use the second rad for cooling the oil. Instead there is a link pipe that replaces it. Worth fitting this whilst you have the motor out.
    Also if your dropping the airbox and going to pod filters you need to re-jet so might as well do that whilst you are at it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Thanks Matt... the oil link pipe was the first thing I bought :)... As I said earlier I'm so far ahead of myself I've slowed down now and concentrating on getting the frame and suspension sorted, so I have a rolling chassis so I can take loads of time going over the engine and not cut any corners being too hasty to put it all back together...

I'm in full strip down mode, just about to send frame and swing arm off to paint, lots of cleaning and collecting all new swing arm bearing, suspension linkage needs, and forks off for rebuild and paint etc. and maybe wheels but haven't fully decided on design / colour etc. once the rolling chassis is done I can stop for a financial breather, I've got a month of travelling in the spring, then I can attack the engine and wiring ready for early summer riding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm loving it... I've actually found it less hassle than a lot of Japanese stuff I've messed with to this level in the past...

• Like Like x 3
  9. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Cut off the center stand mounts off while you have the engine mounts out :)

You can see the casting line and just follow that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Those wheels might be a bit skinny though :)

11. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Those wheels might be a bit skinny though :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Good call DD, and we make a good brew too ;)

And a belated welcome Dodge.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome to my world mate.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1