Engine Cutout When Shutting Throttle (while Cold)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by wayfarer, May 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wayfarer

wayfarer New Member

May 20, 2018
    melbourne, australia
    Hello,
    My 2013 Street Triple is cutting out on me when it's cold. I start it up and let it idle until I get a bar on the temperature gauge - this is all normal. At this point if I blip the throttle it will rev up and then down... and then the engine will cut out. It's as if it is not catching the idle. Once the engine is warm it becomes harder to reproduce the problem.

I have tried only some basic things: running it at 10k revs down the motorway for ten minutes; running it on ethanol E10 to try to clean out any gunk, and checking the battery (which seems fine). But the problem persists. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Hello and welcome, I haven’t got a street Triple but I would guess that the idle control system needs attention and 10,000 rpm down the motorway isn’t the way to do that but I bet you had fun anyway. No doubt someone will give a more informative answer and good luck sorting it out.

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #3 thebiglad, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    And that is exactly why it's doing it. If you blip the throttle before it's fully warmed through, the fuelling the engine is getting is still in a phase of 'warm-up', and a blip will send heat through to the temp sensor. This sensor will then send a message to the ECU that the engine is fully warm and the ecu responds by cutting the fuelling mix to lean. When the revs drop it is no longer capable of sustaining tickover.

If you start the bike and ride off straight away, the engine will warm up quicker and everything will function normally.

• Like Like x 2
  4. wayfarer

wayfarer New Member

May 20, 2018
    melbourne, australia
    That's a fair point, but the thing is I've been starting it up exactly the same way through summers and winters for five years and it has only started cutting out in the last few months. Perhaps the mixing is broken.

I mentioned blipping because that's the simplest way to induce the cut out. The real situation is that I take off from my garage parking space and then close the throttle and pull in the clutch to take the turn out of the garage and that's when the engine stops.

5. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    I suspect you have a faulty engine coolant temperature sensor. Live data should reveal a steady decrease in voltage readings during warm up. However if there is a spike in those readings during the warm up phase, stalling will occur due to fuel mixture being too weak. You will need to access ECU data to eliminate this suspicion. Or if inexpensive, just renew the sensor & see what happens.