Electronics Trouble

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by jyaeger, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jyaeger

jyaeger Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    I have a 14 Sp3 and today I starting having issues. I was out riding around and I pulled over because I got lost turned off the bike and then when I went to turn it back on it was acting like it had a dead battery. The dash would light up then when I pushed the ignition switch it would go a few times and the dash would flicker and die. The only thing I have done recently was install a harness for heated gear. I was running a jacket liner an gloves. The harness came supplied with a range of fuses and used the recommended fuse for the liner/glove combo. I opened up the battery box, disconnected the harness, reconnected the battery waited 5 min and the bike fired up no problem. Any ideas to keep my heated gear running and not kill my battery in the process? It has an OEM battery that was replaced Oct 2016 with no problems.

2. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    My 07 Speed Triple came outfitted with a really awesome tank bag that has an electrical component to be able to charge smart phone. I disconnected the electrical part from the battery and the issue with the battery draining almost every three rides, stopped for the most part.

The trouble starting still seems to be present, sometimes it seems to start normally, sometimes it just goes click and I dont hear the starter cranking, sometimes it cranks and almost sounds like it is trying to crank with the bike in gear (btw make sure to have in nuetral). This can happen when the bike is cold or hot, like you mentioned.

I found that when it happens, if I roll the bike forward, then it cranks. But, it seems like the bike is suffocated or something. I am going to replace the spark plugs and air filter in a week or so. Hopefully, I will find a dirty air filter and a fouled plug or two. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Oh and one more thing, even though the sales people said you can run 89 octane in the bike, DO NOT DO THAT. I found that switching to 93 Octane, which is higher than 95 RON (91 Octane) has alleviated the issue with the battery draining, I think because the fuel has more magic power for firing up, thus causing less drain on the battery.

Stand by for an update on the spark plug and air filter change....

Happy Trails everyone,

• Like Like x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Sounds to me like you need to have a look at your battery connections and those at the starter solenoid, the solenoid itself and get the battery condition checked out (drop test)
    I’m not sure if your model year will be affected but earlier models were susceptible to damage of the starter clutch with a lazy starter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  5. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    Thanks, in my neophyte, mechanic, skills and knowledge <—neophyte is an understatement....I ordered air filter and plugs and I’ll post back the outcome

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    So, I replaced the spark plugs and air filter, found out Triumphs do not like K&N Air Filters, and the Bike runs much better with the Triumph Air Filter, also found out that there is a little phalange that needs to be properly seated into it's hole under the air box and that the risers off the cylinders need to be seated proper. I didnt do that and it caused a vacuum that sucked oil and burnt that oil. Now I got the air box seated properly and the bike runs awesome when it is started.

still have to sort the issue with sometimes no sound when press start, sometimes just a click, and sometimes a couple turns of starter, and sometimes starts right up. Is definitely related to either the wiring, the solenoid, maybe the relay, or maybe the starter itself. Anyone know how to troubleshoot the wiring first?

7. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Very confusing thread. 2 Different members asking questions. Stacy as for Triumph triples not liking K&N filters is not true myself and many others run these filters. Have you tried cleaning and reoiling the filter?. As for the started just clicking, check the main wires that run from the battery. Trace them, cleaning contacts if needed. If like in the UK the clutch has to be pulled in. If the clutch is not adjusted correctly the started may not work. I found this out last week when i changed my clutch cable but did not adjust it right.

8. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Starting issue.. just be aware I had this issue when the alarm had discharged the battery a few times. It would charge up okay and off i would go but the battery had been damaged and it wouldn't hold charge. I got stuck at work and after several tries it wouldnt start with the symptoms you describe. After some checking for visible wiring problems, then the "walk 5 miles home or wait hours for the AA" internal debate. A just one more try saw the bike start. With the lack of any better idea i purchased a new battery. Problem solved.

9. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    Good to know on the k&n and maybe it’s just me or my bike but the Triumph filter oil gasket is much more pronounced than the other and I just couldn’t get a good seal on the other and can on oem

The starting issue I had was due to the clutch cutout switch not being firmly seated. Once seated good bike starts right up

10. Stacy Simpkins

Dec 24, 2018
    Brandon Florida
    I saw an immediate decrease in starting issues when I removed the tank bag ( it had an electrical connection to battery and it choked out the vent to my tank ) also adjusted clutch cutout switch, see my thread named As gas level lowers, so does performance

• Like Like x 3
  11. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Now i get it you mean K&N oil filter. Haven't heard not getting a seal but have heard of them leaking around the bottom