Electrical Woes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Kenny Reed, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    Hi guys , just got a new project . My problem is absolutely no fire or lights . Everything is hooked up except a blue and brown and one red hanging near the center tube of the frame under the seat. I am no wizard but I am all I have can you help? New battery , New plugs .

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Your best bet is to introduce yourself,

Then give us an idea of what bike it is to start with, cos triumph didn't make many !!

Year
    Model
    Engine size

photo of the loose wires and their location as there are a lot of wires in there

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    Hi guys my name is Kenny reed . The bike is a 1970 triumph tiger 650 cc. I just bought her she is like a standing basket case.the wires aren't lose just 3 wires hanging down below seat try to get a pic you can see . Hello everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    IMG_20180806_143205.jpg

5. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    There are 2 sets of white and green wires that go into the primary . These bandits are red and blue and brown. Thanks for all your input everyone

6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
  7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    You might find this helpful :-

https://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=1934

You will need to verify that the engine & frame & wiring loom are all from the same bike and year as the wiring & polarity changed around that era before you go much further or you could make things a lot more difficult by damaging stuff without realising.

One of those wires looks to be multi coloured from the photo .... purple / blue perhaps ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    Carpets match the drapes Carl, title matches the frame and engine. Apparently stock wiring? The multi colored wires are blue/brown and or white/green.I will further look into this wiring harness have you any idea where the brown/blue would go?

9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    First off my names NOT Carl ............

Is the wire colour mainly Brown with a blue stripe or Mainly Blue with a Brown stripe you mention both colours.

Looking at the link @Rocker put up for you Brown / blue feeds the horn, but that relies on the wiring loom being correct for the year / model of bike

10. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    So sorry Oldyam, I have a senior brain. The wire is mostly brown but almost half/half. I too have it as horn. Thank you

11. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    Thank you for the link will check now

12. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    Ever thought of changing it? :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Just to clarify a little, the danger with non running projects is that people add inappropriate bits that they have available as they go along sometimes these make no difference whatsoever, but wiring looms are not usually in that category, as quite often even minor differences can cause major headaches when trying to work out why something doesn't work as expected.

Even a 1 year difference in production can have major implications leaving you with either extra wires or not enough, which unless you are aware of the differences to expect can make it very difficult to fault find.

Are you happy fault finding / tracing wiring with a multimeter ?
    Have you checked the fuses fitted to the bike ?
    Does the ammeter needle move when you switch on the ignition ?
    Are you getting power through the ignition switch ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    As above download the revenant manual/wiring diagram and trace with a multimeter, but being that old you never know just how many people have decided to do their own version of rewiring.;)

But on the upside the std wiring is pretty easy to trace, and if in doubt re wire yourself.

15. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    Thank you for the link will check now

16. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    absolutely no power anywhere except the battery

17. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    I know enough to be dangerous. I may have to learn.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Kenny Reed

Kenny Reed New Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Usa
    I agree you never know why people do things or why.